squaring a new engine in the compartment

I recently replaced my engine. I just noticed that it "looks" to be crooked in the engine compartment. Measuring from the firewall to the lower front corner of each head yields a 1" difference in the left
versus the right. Measuring from the frame rail to the same corner of the heads yields a 1/4 in difference. In my book, that is crooked.
I had no difficulty in bolting anything up (flex plate, bell housing, motor mounts, etc...). ONe of the motor mounts is a fixed stud, so I fugured it had to go in correctly. I would assume that the engine is supposed to be square in the engine comaprtment, although I must admit I have never really looked for that in the past. The fan doesn't appear to be signifiicantly askew within the shroud.
That being the case, what are the best points of reference to use for squaring the engine in the compartment? Any tricks of the trade to make this an easy fix would be appreciated as well.
Of course I notice this a week after taking the hoist back to the rental company.
Thanks for the advice.
Patrick

cabin cruiser? snow mobile? Waring blender? weed eater? should I go on?

Yeah that would be important to know what I put the thing in. It is a 360 ci in an 87 Ramcharger.
Thanks
Make sure you did not get one of the motor mount insulators in backwards. The are normally self centering