Engine Compartment tar paper?

What is that stuff behind and on the sides of the engine compartment? it seems to me to be a thick tar paper of some sort, its all crumbly and im in the process of restoring my 69', were can i get it? do i need it? are there any alternatives if i cant find it?

Reply to
Exille

thats close enough, if I told you the composition formula "I'd have to kill you"

WCM sells a replacement but its no where close as thick. I used 2 sets from them on my car. do i need it? It really helps block engine noise and is a fire block ...just in case.

WCM or you can remove one thats in good shape from a parts car.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Whats WCM?

Reply to
Exille

Reply to
Shane

oh, never heard of them, is their stuff good quality?

Reply to
Exille

Yes and no. (hows that for an answer) They pretty much only make stock reprodution stuff (mainly seals grommets etc..) Some things don't fit real well, but them again you can't get it anywhere else so you gotta make it work!

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Only thing im worried about is buying this mat stuff and it flying apart while im driving and getting sucked into the fan and destroying stuff...

Reply to
Exille

I don't think you need to worry about that. Empi lists it in there Cat too and I'm sure Bugpack also sells it. But frankly, I would use the one from WCM before theirs. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

John Henry has great instructions on his website on how to make your own....

- Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Someone sells a poly substitute set that is supposedly better; rot-free, indestructible, etc. I KNOW these Ramva regulars can help... I ripped mine out, 'cause if it flakes off it could get in the fan...

Reply to
pmbedard

Reply to
Ben Boyle

the original was held in with lots of little "spikes" dotted around the firewall

-- Howard Rose '66 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe '62 Austin Mini Deluxe '64 Austin Mini Super Deluxe

Howard Rose

I have in idea..what if i were to put the stuff in, then cut out 3 plates out of aluminum or something, and put them over the stuff and pop-rivet it in or something...would that work?

Reply to
Exille

Look at the ads in VW TRENDS, particularly the chrome engine stuff - you can get an aluminum fitted (louvered) sheet that goes on the firewall..it can't cost much...they're light too - I got one with my super, but I threw it out...man, the car-wash dumpsters etc. in Newnan GA are filled with crappy cheap aftermarket junk like bumpers, clear distributor caps, etc. :+)

Reply to
pmbedard