Across the engine compartment

When I open the hatch on the rear of my 71 bus, I note the battery on the right side of the compartment.

There's nothing on the opposite side. However, the floor of the compartment has stamped grooves or indentations that look like they were meant to fit some thing that is no longer there.

Did VW ship these buses with, oh, I don't know -- a jerry can or parachute brake or lunch box or something mounted over there?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Lunchbox :)

I think the indentations are there just to make the flat piece of sheetmetal more rigid.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Parachute. I like that one. Actually it's where the VW Elf lives. He fixes your bus whle you sleep. You didn't feed him, did you. Well, he's probably slumming around a Yugo dealership, all depressed. And Christmas is coming up. Poor little guy.

If you are into camping and want to run 12v accessories while not running, you can install a current management system and a good deep-cycle battery in that compartment. But it won't bring back the good Elf.

Reply to
jjs

Reply to
Ilambert

Oh ho, the VW elf. Of course. Right. Shoulda known. Pages 327 - 328 in Bentleys.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Well if he put a JATO pack on there I think he would need to definitally find a spot for a parachute!!

Reply to
Mac