01 Dakota 3.9-IAC bad-symptoms?

I am still having some strange problems with my 3.9 01 Dakota. I will say take a half hour trip to the store,it runs great,go in for 30 min,come back
out start it up and begin to drive out of the parking lot and it seems like the idle goes high and low,back and forth,like its revving high and then dropping down,at times in reverse it will stall out.
Another thing i notice is durign the same situation above,when i go back and try to start,i will turn the key and crank for say 4-5 seconds and it wont start,stop for a second then hit the key again and it fires right up.
I have read an IAC sensor could cause these symptoms but I wanted to get a 2nd opinion from the experts in this forums before i tore it out to check it. Truck has 55k miles on it,just changed all the plugs,air filter,wires,pcv valve. Thanks!
Double check the plug wires. Make sure none of them are near the exhaust manifold. If one or more is, then check for heat damage to wire/s.

I cleaned the IAC today. The entire end was coated with this black gooey stuff,kind of like grease but hardened. Hopefully this fixes my stallling and starting problems.

Suddenly, without warning, RH exclaimed (4/25/2006 12:46 AM):

Had this happen with my old 1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (stupid name for a pickup, but it was a good truck)
Took a while to find a dealer who could fix it, but finally found one who said it was a leaky gasket - apparently a common problem with that make/model - and replaced it under warranty. Can't remember just which gasket was the problem tho.
jmc