02 Dakota electrical problem; please help.

Two nights ago, during a heavy downpour if that has any bearing, my headlights, interior lights, fog lights (or driving lights, the round ones factory installed in the front bumper), parking lights, the bed light and the power door locks all quit working. Turn signals and brake lights still work fine. Is there something that all of these connect to that could cause this? They all started working briefly again last night for about five minutes and now nothing. Please help!

Reply to
bigroblee

Two nights ago, during a heavy downpour if that has any bearing, my headlights, interior lights, fog lights (or driving lights, the round ones factory installed in the front bumper), parking lights, the bed light and the power door locks all quit working. Turn signals and brake lights still work fine. Is there something that all of these connect to that could cause this? They all started working briefly again last night for about five minutes and now nothing. Please help! I don't know if the following information has any bearing, but my seat belt chime has never worked, nor has my steering wheel lock. Also, at least twice in the year I have had it the automatic shifter would freeze, and not shift out of park unless I moved the tilt mechanism a few times up and down then it would shift again. Thank you for any replies!

Reply to
bigroblee

I experienced a similar problem with a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab - rainy night, headlights, parking lights ... all seemed to go on and off. It happened several times then we got to our destination. After about an hour we got back in and drove - problem did not reoccur for 20 minutes, then came back. Next day problem did not occur - conditions were dry, however the day after that I noticed side lights not working, instrument backlights not working, all but high wiper settings not working, power locks except unlock on driver door not working - probably some things I haven?t noticed also. Looking for ideas. Thanks.

"bigroblee" wrote: > Two nights ago, during a heavy downpour if that has any > bearing, my > headlights, interior lights, fog lights (or driving lights, > the round > ones factory installed in the front bumper), parking lights, > the bed > light and the power door locks all quit working. Turn signals > and brake > lights still work fine. Is there something that all of these > connect to > that could cause this? They all started working briefly again > last > night for about five minutes and now nothing. Please help!

Reply to
jgg

Check grounds and electrical connecters?

Reply to
NapalmHeart