03 1500 4x4 towing capacity

I have an '03 Dodge Ram 1500, Quad-cab, 4x4, with the 4.7L engine. I was wanting to know if someone could point me to a web page that would provide towing capacities for this truck, especially as it relates to 5th wheel towing.

TIA, Hawkeye65

Reply to
Hawkeye65

while i dont have a direct answer to your question, i do hope you realize that if towing (particularly the weights commonly associated with 5th wheel towing) is a consideration, you bought the wrong truck.

that said, see

looks like 7,700 pounds. expect piss poor mileage.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Though My Truck is 2x4 the towing capacites are close to the same. Max Vehicle load 6650 Max GCVW 14000 Weight of Truck (Wet & with gear, passengers) 5880 Max trailer weight (wet and loaded) 8120

That said Max is not a good thing, rule of thumb 75% to 80% of max GCVW is the range to look for.

That puts me in the 5300 lb (wet) range as the max weight towable

I addition you need to look at pin/tounge weight to ensure you don't go above the max vehicle load rating.

Happy Camping. snipped-for-privacy@NOPANTS.juno.com Remove NOPANTS To reply by direct E-Mail;

2003 Dodge 1500 QC SB Hemi, A/T, Tow Package, 3.92 gears (11 mpg Towing) 2001 Aerolite 21RDB 21ft TT (Scales 2900 dry)
Reply to
Thats Me

Yes, I would agree, I would not even attempt a 5th wheel with that truck because of the weight over the light weight rear axle with a 5th wheel and the lack of engine size to deliever enough torque to overcome weight and wind drag of the average 5th wheel trailer and the heavy quad cab it is dragging around too. You might attempt it but it could be a bad experiance especailly if it does not have atleast a

4.10 rear axle too and even then it will lack as you need displacement to make good torque for that kind of load.
Reply to
SnoMan

2x4 typical weigh less and have higher tow ratings but that is still to generous for a 4.7 in a quad cab no matter what manual says. (14k GCVW with a 4.7 would be a joke and a slug towing) Plus when you tow you have two factors, weight and wind drag and you can tow more on a low profile flat bed trailer than with a high profile draggy fifth wheel. You will be fighting weight and winddrag which can be high on a 5th. If you must try to tow around 5k with it do it with a much lower profile pull type to cut drag for small engine and I would limit it to 4k or so empty too if the towing will be hilly and do add a aux tranny cooler no matter what you do. If you really have your mind set on a 5th, you really need a different truck because you will not have a good experiance with the setup pulling one of weighing 5k or more and no 5th wheel is light and you need to watch rear axle and tire loading too and that is why a 3/4 ton is like the minimum standard for serious 5th wheel towing. Finail if truck does not have a 3.91 or 4.10 axle ration with that 4.7, do not even waste you time trying with a pull type either.
Reply to
SnoMan