'07 cummins isb

6.7 liters, 325hp/750 ft. lbs.

Nathan W. Collier

Didn't I see numbers for the '07 Duramax posted not too long ago? How do they compare?

What's this going to do for GCWR/GVWR?

And will Dodge have an integrated brake controller?

Reply to
Greg Surratt

I don't see anything about it being in a pickup.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Well it's already a $5500 option. By the time the new 6.7 rolls out it will be at least $6000 and likely more. Anyone know?

BTW, ads in the paper this weekend have local Houston, TX Dodge dealers offering up to $11,500 off new diesel duallys thru Tuesday night 2/28. Helfman Dodge in particular.

Reply to
RamMan

Here you go!

BigIronRam

Yeah - except somebody messed up on the ratings... 305HP/610lb.ft.? Oops... wrong engine.

What caught my eye more was the 6spd auto trans... 'bout damn time.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Well, according to Steve, no 6.7 liter for the pickups, they'll continue to use the current 5.9 engine.

No Aisin six speed for pickups either, bummer.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I find that hard to believe - given the competion's lead in the HP and torque wars. I guess we'll know for sure in 5 months or so

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I'd imagine they have quite a few of the 5.7 powerplants that still need to be installed. And do yoiu think that while Cummins is releasing it in '07 Dodge may need a year or 2 to work it into their truck line?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I might accept that, if Dodge didn't already announce their new 3500 chassis cab would indeed use the 6.7L engine. Why, then, would they keep the 5.9L in the 2500/3500 pickups? It doesn't make sense.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

id agree, im sure they dont have such a super huge overstock of the old 5.9 isb sitting around so they couldnt introduce the new 6.7 isb with the 07 model year.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Good points. Maybe they intend to "Hoover" Ram owners into buying a new model in several years by introducing the 6.7 down the road a ways.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

It actually makes perfect sense. Many people buying the new diesels are doing so because of their superior MPG over their gas counterparts and more power as well. Unless this new 6.7 gets as good or better mileage as the

5.9, what is the real advantage? While admittedly not an expert, from what I'm reading on here, the current trucks main limitations on towing and load do not appear to be due to the engine so for the average P/U owner, what is the real advantage of this bigger engine? All I see is a higher cost, lower MPG, and a higher risk of drive train component failure, all negatives to me. Since the 3500 chassis version is geared toward commercial service where Ford is kicking ass, the added power is needed to become more competitive in towing and other commercial applications.
Reply to
TBone

It's all about numbers. Ford says they have a truck that can tow 19,000 lbs. GM says they have more hp and torque than the others. Dodge can now claim the largest displacement in a six cylinder diesel

- OH, WAIT!

They've always been able to make that claim, haven't they? ;-)

And don't forget about "fewer moving parts" because more is not always better.

Reply to
Greg Surratt

I waited for someone else to ask this but nobody did. Where is Dodge going to get 5.9L engines if Cummins stops making them? Is DC going to discontinue the diesel option on 2500 and 3500 pickups? Are not *all* Cummins ISB engines going to be 6.7 liters in 2007?

Reply to
Nosey

Ken,

from:

We were however told that the Ram 2500 and 3500 models for 2007 will be rolled out with the existing 5.9 liter engine.

end quote.

Whether they'll continue to build the current 5.9 or have enough 5.9's stockpiled, I don't know. Mebbe the 6.7 will be rolled out as an '07.5? I recall that the Diesel engine builders were busted by the EPA for "cheating" their ECM calibrations and had to implement the new regs on an advanced schedule. That accelerated schedule was 2007, however there are differences in how the things are rated by the EPA. Like this:

Under the federal light-duty Tier 2 regulation (phased-in beginning 2004) vehicles of GVWR up to 10,000 lbs used for personal transportation have been re-classified as "medium-duty passenger vehicles" (MDPV - primarily larger SUVs and passenger vans) and are subject to the light-duty vehicle legislation. Therefore, the same diesel engine model used for the 8,500 -

10,000 lbs vehicle category may be classified as either light- or heavy-duty and certified to different standards, depending on the application.

Clear as mud? Yeah, it makes my head hurt too!

Robert

Reply to
BigIronRam

Thanks, I think. ;^)

Reply to
Nosey

Hence why the SRW configuration has gone from a GVW of 9,900lbs. to

10,200lbs. :)
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Is that only for the 3500 SRW or has the 2500 also increased to 10,200 lbs?

Reply to
Nosey