Cummins 07 and 07&1/2 6.7 motors and Oil Filters

Hello all, I purchased a 07 3500 4x4 ram with the 6.7 Cummins last June. I went to Cummins and bought a oil filter for it and it was the wrong one. When I took it back they said there are two different 6.7 engines for

2007 the first which I have was used until July first. The second is for use after july. Cummins told me the difference was the EPA set up for emissions. The two oil filters are the same size but the inlet on the oil fliter for the july and after model is little bigger. So when I tried to install it, ot slipped right over the threads. So when they gave me the second filter it worked just fine. Which is the same one used on the 5.9 model. I am just wondering why the oil filter for the new motor would be different. How is that relativenet to the EPA setup for emissions on the newest motor. Mine clearly saids 6.7 on the top of the motor. Thank you all for your information.

Best Regards, Dan

Reply to
guitardangroups

They probably had some minor oil flow issues with the initial 6.7's and the newer ultra low sulpher fuel and increased the size of the fittings on the oil filter to increase it.

Reply to
TBone

Looking at the difference between usual and less sulphur, I notice that the less sulphur product has less viscosity so I do not see a flow problem.

Reply to
GeekBoy

We are talking about an oil filter here, not a fuel filter. The lower viscosity sulphur fuel does cause some lubrication issues and I would think that Cummins is attempting to combat this by increasing the flow of oil and saw a possible problem with the size of the oil filter inlet.

Reply to
TBone

What part of the engine would be lacking in fuel lubrication that oil lubrication could make up for?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

In responce to Tom Lawrence 's post. I thought everyone should know:

the in tank fuel pump????

*cheezy grin*
Reply to
Chris Thompson