2000 dakota front left wheel locking

I just purchased a 2000 dakota sport 4x4 quad cab and am having an issue with the brakes. Normal stopping works fine but, if I hit the brakes hard the drivers side front wheel will lock up and skid followed by an electric hummins sound from the front passanger side that will last a second or 2. The noise sounds as though something is resetting.

no dash lights are on but, I am trying to trouble shoot it and make sure it is not a safety concern

Thanks in advance!!!

Reply to
boat73

Have you checked for codes in the brake computer?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Old style troubleshooting also works here:

Whenever I buy a used vehicle, I bleed the brake fluid and put in synthetic DOT 3 or DOT 4 per the factory specs.

You see, brake fluid that is NOT synthetic is hygroscopic. Some vehicle makers prohibit non-synthetic based brake fluid. Most makers recommend full drainage and replacement with new fluid every two years.

It absorbs minute quantities of water, overnight, through the breather vent in the master cylinder. If not changed out, then, it eventually gets to be wet enough to boil upon hard stopping, when the brakes can hit 1300 degrees on the rotor surface/disc pads.

Most auto parts stores now sell only synthetic brake fluid.

Reply to
Big Red Truck

To be a technical ass, there is no breather vent on a master cylinder that exposes brake fluid to air. There is an 'air-tight' diaphram between any breather and the fluid. Now that 'air-tight' attribute is questionable however!

But absolutely, brake fluid does absorb moisture from many places (it even 'bleeds' into the system at the caliper seals) and flushing is always a good idea--at a minimum each time the pads are replaced, but as often as annually if possible.

Reply to
PeterD

I've seen where a piece of debris in the brake line can cause this. There could also be a cut inside the brake hose that acts like a flapper. When you apply the brakes this piece of hose 'closes' and acts like a dam preventing the fluid from returning when you get off the brakes. The caliper holds tight until the pressure eventually pushes the piece of hose back.

Steve

Reply to
Von Schoenvorts