2001 Ram airbag question

Does anyone here have any evidence that the driver's side airbag is or is not a hazard to a rearward-facing child seat in the center position in the truck?
I've looked through the IIHS and NHSTA websites and all of the issues I've found deal with the child seat in the passenger position and the passenger airbag. I haven't found anything dealing with the center position, which is odd, because that's where the tether is located. If it *is* a possible hazard, has the USDOT approved dealers to install airbag switches for driver's side use, or do I still need a note from my mommy?
I posted a similar query in rec.autos.tech titled "Hard evidence needed..." for those interested.
Also, if anyone knows of another forum that might be better for this question, please let me know.
Thanks,
-Phil Crow
On 25 Apr 2006 20:50:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

maybe apples & oranges, but in Calif. you can't have a car seat in the middle, AFAIK, and they're working on making them illegal in the front seat.. don't know what exemption they plan for pickups with no back seat..
Is there only one tether?? strange... limited experience with modern infant seats... my kids freak when we tell them that they rode in ones that just hooked over the seat back.... *g*
The seat that a grand kid used in our Dakota (in rear of club cab) used a tether on each side.. Mac

middle,
don't know

my 05 has one teather location in the rear seat in the middle and the owners manual depicts the teathers going through the head rest uprights and over to the center (if using all 3 locations all 3 teathers would attach to the single large D ring)
--
-Chris
05 CTD