2004 Dakota 4 low slip

I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota 4X4, when I put it in 4 Low it takes it a second to engage almost like its slipping. 4 Hi engages Immediately. I took it to the dealer and the tranny guy told me that was normal. Can I
get input from anyone who has the same type of transmission. Thanks.........
I always stop and put the transmission in neutral before switching to 4-low. Are you shifting it under power?
-rev
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

Yes, I stop put it in neutral, switch to 4 low, wait until the light shows its synched up, put it in drive and give it gas slowly.
And you're saying that it doesn't move then?
I have an '02, 4x4 5.9L. Not that I need 4-low, but I shift into it every month or so just to keep things moving. It's like this:
Stop. Shift into neutral. Click the dial over to 4-low. The transfer case clicks going into 4-high, then louder going into 4-low. 4-low light comes on. Shift back into Drive. At that point, if my foot isn't hard on the brake then the truck takes off. No wait and no slipping. Perhaps something's gummed up on yours and the dealer doesn't want to mess with it?
-rev
I have a V6 4X4, I wonder if its the same tranny? Or it could be that they dont want to mess with it. Thanks..