98 Ram Diesel ABS

I have a 98 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4, with an ABS light that will come on for a day or so, then go back out for a few days, then back on. The dealer tells me the code (72 ECU ROM check sum error) basically means
the brain to the ABS is shot. Big $$$$. Am I getting fleeced or is this true? Any experience will be greatly appreciated.