Anone with a 97,98,99 dakota?

Do you know what kind coolant came with truck---regular (green) or ext-life (orange/pink). I'm getting ready to flush/replace coolant after almost 4 years (but
not too many miles), but the dodge shop doesn't know for sure what they put in last time.

Mac if memory serves me it should have green in it. I believe that's what they came with.
on a side note, that (my leaving) was a short leave wasn't it??
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Glad to see ya back! Hope all is better.
Roy

somewhat, things are looking up but not totally resolved. and thanks Roy
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Things take time, I'm sure you will get a handle on it.
Roy

when i said i was leaving i thought i would be gone for a few months at least. as i said i didnt not know when i would be returning and certainly didnt imagine it to be this soon.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Bro, if you are going to flush it, what difference does it make what was in it before?
Roy
Bro, that's exactly the question I had when the mechanic asked me what was in it. He said IT STILL could be a problem. I didn't relieve believe that, so i spent a few minutes searching the web for discussions of mixing coolants.....and seems alot of people agree with him. But my searching did not come up with any hint of what coolant came with my truck, although i tend to "think" it's regular/green from what people are saying.

oooops, I meant to say that the mechanic, and what i've read on the web, say that putting different coolant in there could still ba problem even after you flushed out the previous coolant...

My experience was with GM's dex something or other in a 94 vette. The story was ya couldn't mix the dex(orange stuff) with the green or yellow. Also the dex stuff was causing problems with the heater/radiator. I think the deal was that it was plugging it. But, everybody was dropping the orange flushing it and going to the green or yellow. No problems doing it. Given the coolers that a vette has ya have to work to get it out. Honestly I'd flush it good, put in my favorite color and move on.
Roy

I just changed the coolant in my wife's 98 Intrepid (what a pain in the ass that car is) and it came with the orange stuff. Many of the newer long term coolants say that they CAN be mixed with the green stuff but they don't recommend it because it would be very difficult to determine what your freeze protection would be.

My '98 (3.9L) had a fairly early water pump failure (after 30K, about 2 years) replaced under warranty. It was leaking green and they topped it back off with green.
Frank

If you can't see clearly into the overflow tank to see the color, wait till the engine is cool and take off the cap and peek inside.
FMB ('03 CTD HO Orangey Stuff)

I've got a '97. I use the stuff that is compatible with everything in all of our vehicles. Simplifies what I have to keep on hand.