backup light switch

Apologies if I've posted this before. Not used to Google Groups, and didn't see it when I went looking... and as I'm in the middle of a move from one overseas post to another, my brain is completely fried.
We're getting ready for yet another overseas adventure - this time to Australia. To that end, I had the UK mechanic that did the conversions on my 2001 Dakota (you have to do some fancy wiring of the lights to make a Dak legal in the UK) put his work back. I was quite looking forward to getting my backup lights back - they're not required here, but I missed them greatly (they became turn signals).
Unfortunately, when I got the truck back, in a nutshell I was told that the backup lights still don't work, and they've determined the switch is at fault. Does this seem reasonable? Is the switch user-replaceable? I'll pick one up when I'm back in the US (gads - only a couple of weeks from now!). If it is user replaceable, hopefully the Haynes manual I hope to also pick up while I'm there will tell me where, and how.
My truck is on it's own journey now, will meet me at our new home in late June. I miss her already. All I can hope for is that it makes it in one piece - getting out here they provided a couple of free dents in the hood :(
jmc

What kinda transmission? Engine?
Suddenly, without warning, John Kunkel exclaimed (4/1/2006 10:02 PM):

oops, sorry. 4.7l stick shift. 2001 Dakota SLT, 4x4.
jmc

Your truck is equipped with a NV3500 5-speed trans, the backup light switch should be located on the left side of the transmission rear housing.
One wire at the switch (usually brown) should be powered when the key is in the run position, the other wire leads to the BU lights. If there is no power to the switch check the fuse the power center, if there is power to the switch jumper across the two connectors on the plug; if the BU lights then come on the switch is faulty but if the lights still don't work check the bulbs and/or the wiring to the rear of the truck.