Cummins Surge

Merry Christmas to all! I have a 04 2500 Cummins auto 3.73 with 25k. It has never really run up to snuff. Recently, the dealer found a problem with the transfer pump letting air get in the system. He
replaced it with an in-tank pump and that has helped. However, it still has more vibration and noise than some of the other late Cummins. Pulling a 12 ft flat-front cargo trailer from ne SC to Pascagoula MS (70-75 mph), I got 12 mpg. (I am with a SC Baptist Disaster relief unit). On our first trip (to Columbia MS), a V6 F150 pulled that trailer and I pulled my 22 ft gooseneck and tractor with a front loader. I got 8.8 mpg for that trip. Now for the question: After a minute or so warm-up, I gently ease up to 55. After about 5 miles and getting up to 60-64 mph, the engine starts surging (kind of like 70s cars dealing with polution controls) and continues for 5 to 9 miles. Colder weather seems to be worse and the problem seems to be getting worse. Wonder what? Changing the fuel filter had no effect. Thanks Mark31

Get them to test the injectors. 10:1 you've got a bad or at least carboned-up injector.
Try some injector cleaner, You might get lucky.