Fan kicks in on cold start

Hi people,
1500 2WD auto 5.9L 1995
About 30 seconds after the first cold start of the day the viscous coupled fan kicks in. Is this normal?
I have been having some cold start problems and had the hood up the
other day when it finally started then I heard the fan kick in.
I listened for it again this morning and sure enough, about 30 seconds after start up the fan kicks in. It does not do it when warm.
Anyone have any helpful thoughts on the problem??
Thanks in advance.
Dave
I had a '96 Jeep 5.2L that did that, especially in cold weather. My '02 Dakota 5.9L does but not as loud. There's a definite fan roar for the first 10 seconds or so on the road. As long as it quiets down after a minute or two on the road then it's like most belt fan equipped vehicles I've ever had.
-rev
Dave, I can't do that wrote:

Yes, it's normal. My advice is to keep the RPM down till the fan roar quits. My Dodge it takes about a city block, my Isuzu takes about a mile.
Al
Al
Thanks Al and Rev.
It does quiet down fairly quickly.