Front Under-Cushion Storage in Ram 1500 Pickup (sort of a rant)

My 2003 1500 truck has the driver's power-seat option, which also gets you the handy storage compartment underneath the center cushion. On my 2003 truck, this storage compartment extends all the way to the
floor.
On the 2006 and 2007 Ram pickups, this same optional storage compartment is only about half that deep. Instead of the storage compartment extending to the floor, it's only a very shallow tray. There's several inches of gap beneath the compartment and floor, now wasted space. Just perfect for losing small items underneath, and of course it would be damned hard to vaccum the carpet down there.
(1) Why in the world would they make this dumb change?
(2) If I buy a 2006 or 2007, will a storage compartment from a 2003 bolt right in?
Martin

Should since it is basically the same model