Fuel Filters ..... What's the truth?

I am approaching 15,000 miles on my Cummins. Ready for an oil and filter switch. Along the way, I have drained the fuel filter about three times now for water, and not noticing any in the discharge I capture in a plastic jug.

What is the suggested interval for fuel filter change? Is there that much water in there that it is important to bleed it every 5,000 miles or so, or might that just depend on the part of the country you are in? Maybe where it is wet, or there seems to be more water in fuel for some reason? And what about particulates in the fuel? I haven't changed a diesel fuel filter before, and haven't looked at this one yet to see if it has much gunk in it or not.

If I pull the filter now, and it appears clean, can I flush it and put it back, or would there be small enough particulates in there to make that a bad idea? Fuel filters seem to be cheap enough that changing them on schedule is no big deal cost wise.

I was just wondering if there are any special circumstances associated with fuel filters and their changing.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

i generally just trade the truck in at that point and get a new one.

Reply to
theguy

It's not so much about the water, but the other junk... ESPECIALLY on a first change. You're going to be amazed at how cruddy the fuel filter is - mainly junk from the new fuel tank. Recommended intervals for fuel filters are between 10,000 and 15,000 miles - depending on fuel quality. With my fuel pressure gauge, I go by pressure drop rather than time - and when I was running just the stock filter, 12,000 miles was about the time I would start to notice some drop-off.

It's a $12 filter, Steve... pony up the cash

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

YAWN ................

Oh, pardon me .............

FART, YAWN ................

Reply to
Steve B

no problem steve. a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

Reply to
theguy

I got the FleetGuard 4 in 1 package. This engine, and its maintenance is new to me. So, I like to understand it ahead of time so that I do the right thing at the right time, and get the most out of my investment.

I'm sure as the oil/fuel/air filter changes go by, that I will notice different peculiarities, I was just wondering about some basics.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

wrote

So right.

plonk

Reply to
Steve B

see, there is a God. thank you.

Reply to
theguy

guy, maybe it should be traded in for a Yugo, it might be a little more up his alley. :)

Reply to
azwiley1

maybe. i think one of those of those mini's though. and a pink mustang for barrell.

Reply to
theguy

How about a Scion XB painted pink with a vanity plate that reads, NMYPNKBX

Reply to
azwiley1

No. An Adobe as featured on SNL.

Reply to
Ed H.

I change my fuel filter every 8000 miles along with the oil, oil filter and air filter.

Remember NOT to tighten the plastic fuel filter cap too tight. It causes a lot of cussing.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.