hemi

anyone know if there is any move in dodge to have the hemi shut down cylinders when not needed to save on gas?

Yep - it's called the MDS system. All the cars that have the Hemi (Magnum, Charger, 300C) have this in place. I thought I heard it was going to be added to the Rams and Durangos for the '06 models. Essentially, it's a lifter that can disconnect itself, preventing the cam from actuating the valves. Obviously, the fuel injector is also shut down, though the spark plugs continue to fire (due to the Hemi's "one coil fires two spark plugs" arrangement). Four of the eight cylinders deactivate - the same four cylinders all the time. This seems counter-intuitive, but Chrysler claims they have detected no adverse wear patterns on the non-deactivated cylinders. Time will tell, I guess...
More than you'd ever want to know about the Hemi can be found, in part, here:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

more reliable, powerful and technologically superior to the engines of even 10 years ago. Oil is the life beat of any engine proper type is imperative and you really need to be anal on changing the oil too. There are some draw backs with technology on today's engines they are costlier to maintain however, if properly maintained on the average provide far better service life that the older engines of 20 years ago.
I know some will argue and before you do contact Pat Goss at http://www.patgosscarworld.com/ probably the fore most expert in the automotive field he will set you strait. The man knows everything about almost every vehicle and manufacturer. He has never been wrong in all the years I have been listening to him both on the radio and on Motor Week. I know this looks like an advertisement but the truth is I just which I knew what the man has forgotten.
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply
You're correct. The new Pontiac GTO is faster,with a smaller engine, 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile than the old GTO with 389 cu in engine! I wonder if the new Charger can make that claim? I doubt it.

I wish my 04 Hemi Ram had that what a gas hog!

To: kilmister 06 Models will, if I am not mistaken I beleive it will be on all hemi's.

* Billster's World - Pea Ridge, AR - telnet://billsterworld.com
Benefactr wrote:

Just another bandaid to come off or break. I can see the complaints a coming.
----------------- www.thesnoman.com