injector line leakin

noticed #3 line "seeping" at injector yesterday. researched on the net and tried the following:
loosened the brackets securing the line, than I backed it off. the nut was a
little over finger tight, wiped with a clean rag to feel for corroding or breaks. re tightened, torque to 24 ft lb. so far seems ok, but it was still "wet" around it where the rag wouldn't reach when I got in tonight.
anyone got similar? what did you do to fix it?
--
Billy
1995 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins

It's the line that feeds the injector that's leaking - not the injector itself. That's a flare fitting - no O-ring. The injectors themselves use sealing washers, not O-rings, at their tips. O-rings can't handle the 1000's of PSI in those lines.
It's not uncommon for those fittings to loosen up over time... just gotta torque 'em down again, and the leak should go away. At worst, the line would need to be replaced. Again - not a big deal to do.
Tom,
You are mistaken about the O-rings, it even shows O-rings in the OEM shop manual from Chrysler and Dodge and says to lubricate them with motor oil prior to installation so argue with that.
Coasty

I think you are in the gas section, not the diesel section. their are no O rings.
--
Billy
1995 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
< snipped-for-privacy@bowie-cass-ssac.com> wrote in message

Alright... I will...
Yes, there's an O-ring on the injector. Yes, it should be lubricated prior to installation. No, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with preventing fuel from leaking - it has everything to do with keeping dirt and debris out. The seal between the injector and the cylinder is done with a copper sealing washer. The seal between the injector and the fuel line is done with a flare fitting - no O-ring. In a diesel engine, none of the seals where fuel could leak out (at least on the high pressure size) are done with O-rings. Therefore, for a leaking injector, changing any O-rings is a complete waste of time.

Clearly, since the fuel pressure at the injector is in the tens of thousands of PSI. Its a no brainer to most of us.
--
Max

Spray the area down with brake cleaner - that will get rid of the residual diesel fuel, and let you spot any leaks sooner.
Thanks, great ideal.
--
Billy
1995 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins