Is $1,500 a good price to have the muffler bearings replaced?

Ha ha ha, I knew this would get a reply!
I have a '97 Dakota 4x4 and I was doing some other work and noticed the front axle tube (Dana 35 IFS 3.55 Ratio) is cracked, actually broke all the
way around right next to the diff. The tube looks like aluminum, but may be some type of alloy. I pulled it out and was wondering if these could be welded? I wonder if that would be wise as the axle alignment geometry with the diff could possibly be off is the weld was done and was off a hair? I priced a couple diffs from salvage yards, and around North Fla they want $500 for the assembly. I haven't been buying salvage parts for 20 years now, but it sounded high to me. I used to get rear straight diff/axle assemblies for $150 - $250. Is the $500 price fair market value these days?
Thanks for your comments,
DJ

Just leave it alone. It'll fall off.

$1500 is a ripoff for a $50 part... http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id  or http://tinyurl.com/bks6a IMHO.

Thanks for the link. I need two for my Harley.
Al

<GBMFG>
Suddenly, without warning, FMB exclaimed (08-Apr-07 2:35 AM):

What a great site! I'd been having problems finding blinker fluid out here...
This'un would be a great addition to our trucks:
http://tinyurl.com/39ajya
jmc

Hmmm...Mad Max was on TV today and who did I think of? Have you taken your "V8 Interceptor" out in the bad lands? ;-)