Is my 2000 Caravan electrical haunted?

OK, while driving my 2000 Caravan started doing something odd electrically...
I heard a steady ticking sound coming from the steering column area in
synch with the ticking the odometer and other dash lights blinked. This went on for about a minute or two, then it went away.
I had something similar (related?) happen the other day when I tried to start the van, but it would not even engage the starter. It would just tick. This also went away after about a minute and then I was able to start the van.
Anyone know what this might be? I do have an after-market alarm system which has been in the vehicle for a couple of years now, although it hasn't functioned normally in about a year (doesn't always respond unless I'm almost on top of the van, rarely makes a beep sound any more when engaging/disengaging).
Thanks.

Sounds like a weak battery and/or corroded battery terminals... check this first.
Mike
Mark Bratcher wrote:

Inspect the battery cables and all of the ground wires you can find. Have the battery tested. Check all of the electrical connectors under the hood and under the dash. If nothing else helps, try some of these methods: http://tinyurl.com/3a2wad
--
Ken

To: Mark Bratcher Hey don't feel like the lone ranger. My '99 Dakota has the same problems, plus the engine idiot light has come on and the child safety door locks, milage meter, and speedometer have all quit working. All I gotta say is: HELP!