lift kit for 2007 2 WD Dodge Ram 3500 dually

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone put a lift kit on a 2007 Dodge 3500 2 WD dually? I'm finding conflicting reports on whether it will work or not. I just want to raise the front so that the front end is level with the rear
because I want to carry a 350 pound scooter on the front. Some say I would need custom wheels, others say not. I don't want the added expense of new wheels and tires.

Hey Matt, check out the chart on this guy's page which shows the 'drop' of the rear after a simple/cheap modification. http://www.klenger.net/dodge/lowering-rear-end/slide08.html or http://tinyurl.com/yqv8hk
If that works for ya, go to the beginning of the instructions at http://www.klenger.net/dodge/lowering-rear-end/slide01.html or http://tinyurl.com/yw2s8w . Understand though, this is not raising your front end to be level but lowering your rear for a leveling effect.
As for custom wheels/tires, Denny will prob chime in as he carries quite a load (BFG).
If you haven't already, plan on putting in some good shocks.
FMB (North Mexico)

Hey Matt, check out the chart on this guy's page which shows the 'drop' of the rear after a simple/cheap modification. http://www.klenger.net/dodge/lowering-rear-end/slide08.html or http://tinyurl.com/yqv8hk
If that works for ya, go to the beginning of the instructions at http://www.klenger.net/dodge/lowering-rear-end/slide01.html or http://tinyurl.com/yw2s8w . Understand though, this is not raising your front end to be level but lowering your rear for a leveling effect.
As for custom wheels/tires, Denny will prob chime in as he carries quite a load (BFG).
If you haven't already, plan on putting in some good shocks.
FMB (North Mexico)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:03:29 -0800 (PST), wrangler matt

Did anyone say *why* you would need new wheels? AFAIK, wheels don't figure into the equation at all, unless I'm missing the obvious.
Which kit are you planning to use, and did you contact the kit's maker yet?

I was planning on a spindal kit by cst and they have not done a 3500 dually.
If it's a 2WD, you should be dropping the back by 2 inches, that makes sense. I have a 4WD and I raised the front by 2 inches. You must readjust the front wheel alignment and change the shocks, because there is insufficient travel. In addition, getting in and out of the truck is a hassle, even with electric steps. It might look cool, but it is a PIA. Steve

I would think that you could put a stiffer spring in it that would give you about the same ride height. Or perhaps a air shock it they are legal up front. A lift kit seems like a lot of work for 350 lbs. How long or often would you be carrying this scooter?

Considering the 800+ lb of snow plow on the front of my 2500, I'm not sure 350 lb of scooter would even be noticable... (The plow is barely noticable, mostly because of when angled it actaully pushes the truck to the side at highway speeds!)
And, just to be difficult, I wonder if the scooter really weighs 350 lb? That is a *lot* of weight, and unless I'm missing what the OP means when he says 'scooter' I would think 200 lb is closer to the true weight.
But why on the front? I'd get a lift and put it in the bed myself! Much better protected.

Probably hauling a 5th wheel.

Might be the scooter and a bumper mount/lift is a combined 350?
I had a Suzuki 850 with a big honking shaft drive and I seem to remember it weighing a little over 500 lbs..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:40:24 -0800, mac davis

I think we need to define 'scooter' now! <bg>
I was thinking that thing that grandma rides around the old-folks home on... <g>

It is a Honda Reflex 250cc scooter.
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:43:45 -0800 (PST), wrangler matt

Ah, now I can envison it... <g>

It is a Honda Relex 250cc and I would put in the back but like Roy said I am hauling a 5th wheel.

It is a Honda Relex 250cc and I would put in the back but like Roy said I am hauling a 5th wheel.
If that is the case then I guess I'm missing something. I may be wrong but when you hitch the trailer to the truck, the rear drops a bit. When your not pulling the trailer the rear is higher. I figure you put the scooter on the front of the truck when you have the trailer on the back. Having said all that if you install a lift kit your truck will be high in the front when you don't have the trailer on. Have you had the scooter on the truck with the trailer on the back? If so how much does the front drop? I'd still be looking into a air shock or perhaps a adjustable shock.
Thinking about this, 350 pounds shouldn't drop the front a whole lot if you keep the weight real close to the bumper.
Also Denny stands on his front bumper and the truck hardly moves. He weighs waaaay more that the scooter.<G>

When I lift the plow my 2500 front drops about an inch at the most. And we're talking way more than Denny weighs, too! <g> (I'll take your word on his weight.)
However, this may not be the best comparison, as the 2500 does have the snow plow prep-package which, IIRC, includes heavier front springs.

If it is a Myers blade both it and Denny are equal in weight. If it is a Fisher, the blade would weigh a bit more that the friggin'rabbit!!<VBG>

True, but this is a 3500. I'd think the springs on the 3500 are about the same or stiffer than the 2500 plow prep springs.

Ok, this is the 3rd time in 2 days trying to get teranews to post this.
Hey Matt, check out the chart on this guy's page which shows the 'drop' of the rear after a simple/cheap modification. http://www.klenger.net/dodge/lowering-rear-end/slide08.html or http://tinyurl.com/yqv8hk
If that works for ya, go to the beginning of the instructions at http://www.klenger.net/dodge/lowering-rear-end/slide01.html or http://tinyurl.com/yw2s8w . Understand though, this is not raising your front end to be level but lowering your rear for a leveling effect.
As for custom wheels/tires, Denny will prob chime in as he carries quite a load (BFG).
If you haven't already, plan on putting in some good shocks.
FMB (North Mexico)

And it showed up 3 times... whodathunkit?

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Crap, I've been fighting this teranews for a couple months now. It only just let me begin posting again in alt.alt.test a couple weeks ago and then only posted very few of the posts. Today I look and they put them all up. The ones that did go up in a reasonable time, only went up in alt.alt.test and none of my other news groups.
Looks like it may work for awhile now, I dunno. They were getting my messages, but filtering them out. Who do they think I am, puddle? And I thought SBC newsgroups were piss poor.
FMB (North Mexico)