Looking to buy a new truck. Which is the safest & most reliable?

Page 1 of 2
My transmission just took a shit on me ('97 GMC 1500). Most likely I will get something new, as my gmc is 10 years old. I see many good qualities in all trucks combined (Dodge, GMC/Chevy, Ford, Toyota), but
need help to narrow it down. Here's a list of things I am looking for overall:
-Safety (airbags, accident protection) -Reliability (parts last a good few years before I need to really replace them) -Better Gas Efficiency (Don't need a guzzling V8 to show off) -Good looking enough -Great Warranty Package
There are other details, but they're escaping my mind right now. I know this is the Dodge newsgroup, but give me a perspective on all trucks.
Thanks, -Joel

This is going to open a big can of worms. many like me are biased to one brand or against another. With that said look for what you want yourself that still does what you need. I'm a chevy man my self but would look at a dodge diesel if i was buying brand new.

Based solely on the criteria listed (except for maybe good looking), sounds like a Ridgeline is the ticket for Joel. Then again, he may not even need a truck...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Based upon your criteria I'd buy American and go with a Toyota Tundra. You have to eliminate all GM trucks as they don't pass your styling test since they are the standard box on wheels GM design. Ford doesn't pass your 'quality' test and Dodge misses the fuel mileage test.
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:09:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@xo.com (Electrician) wrote:

I am not sure if Toyota is all that American. Sure they are assembled here and provide a lot of jobs but most parts used for assembly are shipped in from across the big pond. Because of that the tier 1 and tier 2 suppliers that used to provide jobs for thousands here in the states are shrinking or dont even exist any more. I know this from first hand experience.
snipped-for-privacy@africamail.com wrote:

Not so. Toyota states that the Tundra has more US content than GM, Ford or Dodge trucks. The engines are built in Huntsville, Alabama and the transmissions are made in North Carolina. The steel is US as is most of the drive train. It's more American engineered and built than Japanese.
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 16:55:14 -0700, miles wrote:

I've owned a Dakota since 90, and will be trading in my Quad 4x4 v8 for a Toyota FJ this summer.
I found that my Dakota Quad 4x4 is not really all that great off-road, not that I do any off-road, but I've been stuck in mud several times - snow is never a problem, but mud sucks.
I'm also tired of the Dodge support issues that I often experience at the dealers. I'm hoping that Toyota will be a more positive experience.
--
Leythos
snipped-for-privacy@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

What kind of dealer support issues have you had? Just curious as I bought a 97 Dakota new and have only had it in the shop a couple of times for non scheduled maintenance items. Both times I thought the dealer turned it around very quickly although the price seemed to be very high, as most dealer service is. I'm debating whether to go with a new Dakota or a Tundra.
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 23:16:21 +0000, Electrician wrote:

My first Dakota had 3 rear-ends, 5 computers, 3 transmissions, 5 drive shafts in the first 9 months that I owned it - and the dealer made it damn hard to get along, no loaner car, claiming that there were no problems, etc...
I owned a Saturn during that time and every time (2) that I had it in the shop they were very nice, almost like family, and took me to work and picked me up (warranty repairs).
I also owned several Plymouth and Chrysler Mini Vans (Grand Voyager and Town-and-Country (loaded). I've had a number of issues with those (air conditioner condenser in each, brakes, transmission...) that took more than 1 trip to get fixed, including the standard "We can't hear anything..." type reports...
I'm hoping that switching to a company that values me as a customer, instead of my money (yea, I know they value my money, but I want to think they value me as a customer) and still get the Truck I want.
--
Leythos
snipped-for-privacy@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)
Leythos wrote:

Sounds like tire issues. I really like the Toyota FJ but it's not a truck. Whats the wheelbase on the FJ?

I've had support issues from dealers of all makes. It's difficult to find a great dealer. I just don't see that Toyota or Honda or any other Japanese make has better dealers than Dodge, Ford or GM. Just depends on where you live.
I had two horrible Nissan dealers, never did find one that would take care of problems without a fight. I had 1 horrible Dodge dealer but the 2nd one (Ed Moses in Phoenix) is awesome. I've not bought 4 Dodges from them and they just keep treating me right. Calls to DCX have also resulted in great service every time for all issues I've ever had.
snipped-for-privacy@africamail.com says...

I don't know about the rest of the Toyota line but I believe the Tundra has more American sourced parts than any of the big three trucks. I believe if you buy a Tundra you're buying as American as you can get.
How can American as you get be on a Japanese company?
says...

Midlant wrote:

Because the American companies are less American! My Dodge is mostly Mexican built. The Toyota is mostly American built with American parts.
Put it this way. When a truck is sold most of the sales price pays for labor and parts. In the case of my Mexican built Ram most of that money stayed in Mexico. With a Toyota Tundra most stays in the USA.

Not all are built in Mexico. My Ram was built in St Loius.
GeekBoy wrote:

Thats true. Most sold in the western USA were built in Mexico. Are the engines all built in the USA or are they shipping parts from Mexico to assembly plants in the mid-west and east?

My first one was a 99, built in Mexico. Bought in Texas. Second that I still have, bought in California. It was built in St. Louis. I don't think Cummins have parts made in Mexico, but who knows.

Nope - the block castings are done in South America (Brazil?), and assembly is done in Indiana
Tom Lawrence wrote:

My '99 has the Teksid block that was cast in Mexico. Most of them were cast in Brazil by Tupy. I didn't know they assembled them in Indiana. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the assembly was done in India.
--
Ken

Now you bring that up. Cummins recently announced some parts manufacturing will be done in India now. Everything that comes out of India ia garbage. A lot worse than China.

Yep - Columbus, IN. All the 5.9's (and now 6.7's) are assembled there in the CMEP - Cummins Midrange Engine Plant. Two Guys Garage did a tour of the plant last year... pretty cool to watch the engines get assembled. I love the automatic torque wrenches that torque down the head bolts all in one shot. I don't have one of those tools! :)