Lug nut stuck on lug - I'm up the creek.

I was changing my wheels from the oversize ones that came with my truck (bought it used) to normal size wheels. I've changed 3 tires, but 1 I can't get off because one of the 8 "lug nuts" is stuck on the
lug.
The oversize tire's "lug nuts" use a special adapter that goes inside the "lug nut" (American Racing wheels) to turn it off the "lug".
The problem is worse because it is not only stuck, but now the "lug nut" has cracked, so the adapter turns freely inside.
What are my options?
Can I drill it out? Anything to watch out for?
Would a tap help also?
Can I drill all the way through the bolt? Then what?
This is on the driver side rear wheel, will I damage the brakes?
Maybe I need an arc welder to just burn the lug and bolt off?
Sorry for all the questions, but I going crazy over this.
Please post reply.

You mean one of the security-style things - looks like a star-shaped cookie cutter?

Got an air compressor and an air hammer? They make short work of those lug nuts. A cold chisel and a hammer work, too - just takes a little longer :) Either way - get the chisel to bite into the edge of the lug nut, and hammer it counter-clockwise. I've had to do this a few times in the past - usually when a buddy lost his special keyed adapter :)

Probably not a good idea... unless you could get a good ground somewhere on the axle. Even then, a MIG would be better, because you could just weld a regular nut to the end of the special one, and back it off with a socket.
JB wrote:

Sounds like you have lug nut "locks". These break all the time, or get lost. Not a big deal. Take it over to your local tire store, they have a special tool just for this. Probably only charge you $5-10, plus new lug nuts. Will only take a few minutes, too.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged Stolen 11/26/05 in Denver
JB wrote:

================================ Dremel tool, cutoff wheel, and cold chisel.
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 08:46:25 -0800, Helpful G

Generally not an option on a $1000 alloy rim.

I wasn't aware that American Racing made a $1,000 rim. I also wasn't aware the OP had $1,000 rims on his used truck.
message

the
inside
Buy a locking lug removal tool. It is a socket that gets driven over the lug nut and then you remove them. Just make sure it is driven on HARD so the teeth grab good.
http://www.autobarn.net/emlugnutrem.html
-

6" pipe wrench with a cheater always works.
Coasty
save yourself alot of time and money and stay away from drilling it out. you will break the bit and be pissed off.

so what's your suggestion for him ?

Drilling it will take alot of time even if it works because these are security locks and material is hardened and so are the wheel studs. I usually take a 1/2" piece of round steel stock and place it against the lug at an angle, and use a BFH to smack it back and forth a little until it snaps off, wheel studs are easily replaceable. You can hit the stud directly if you have room. You might want to protect the wheel by taping cloth to it.--J
......just like wrench said.
or just pein the damn thing till it is loose.
--
"robs440" < snipped-for-privacy@mine.orggg> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com...
Try here: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid 952162000&subcat=Bolt-Out%2C+Taps+%26+Dies