Muffler/tailpipe question..... 1995 Ram 1500

OK here's the deal.
I'm a Registered Nurse, not a mechanic, but I have a question.
I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Magnum. I've got a Gibson dual exhaust
connected that's pretty much rotting out.
I'm pressed for cash right now so I thought I'd slip a sleave over the open holes in the tailpipe where the hangers used to be and use another to reconnect to the muffler. I need to pass inspection soon it expired 7/31.
I can get everything I need from the local CarQuest. should I? Or should I wait and get the muffler replaced lock, stock and barrel?
Bryan wrote:

I would do exactly that. It won't last all that long, maybe a year or two. And you know that. Just patch it up so it will pass and press on.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

As a RN, you know that a band-aid is a temporary fix. As long as you realized that putting patches on is temporary and you'll soon need to patch another spot, there's not a problem with it.
Denny