Need help choosing 4x4 Baja beater

Ok... convinced the wife that the 01 dak is way too nice to take to mexico, so we'll be selling it before we move and keeping the ram for main vehicle and towing..

Looking for suggestions on something 4x4 that we can use for the more abusive parts of life in mexico... the area we're in has dirt streets that are watered down and graded often, so sort of wash boardy.. road to town is paved but a all of the secondary roads are dirt/sand/desert...

Sort of ruling out dune buggy or rail because of the heat in summer.. A/C is almost a given..

Brand/model is not important, looking for fairly low price and something that won't shake apart in 6 months..

Lots of used Samari's and stuff down there but they look too fragile to me... probably wrong about that?

I have NO 4x4 experience and don't plan on blazing trails across the desert.. just want something that if we should get stuck we can put in 4x4 and get out..

*g*

Hoping to keep it under 5k... is that realistic??

Any suggestions welcome! Mac

mac davis

I've been looking for a Jeep CJ5 or 7 in decent shape for a few years and haven't found one around here that hasn't been eaten up by road salt. Imho ya can't find a better toy for shitty conditions. They are simple to work on, easy to mod, parts are everywhere. Where you are they shouldn't be a problem to find. Heck with a tow bar you can haul it around behind the truck. I'm thinking of one again for running around town in Fl.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I think I'd look around for a used Cherokee. You can find them for under $5000 with air. They are dependable and common, and you won't have to wait on a slow boat from Japan if you need parts for it. Samurais are cheap and disposable. If something major breaks you could probably get another Samurai for less $ than the repair but do you want that hassle?

Reply to
Nosey

And keep it under 5k? Realistic?? Why heck yeah! How about a '06 2500, QC, 4WD, Laramie (keep Nan cool, comfy, and on leather) and to keep it under

5k, get the CTD. That redlines under 4k so that should keep you safe.

FMB (duckin)

Reply to
FMB

something like an older S10, Cherokee, Ranger/mazda sounds in order, all readily avail and repairs shouldn't cost an arm and leg.

see them all the time round here.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

That was my 1st thought, but my experience with jeeps in the Army was pulling them out of the mud with a deuce and a half.. *g*

Also thinking about a wagoneer or toyota land cruiser, but know even less about them..

Mac

mac davis

That's slowly heading up the list... the older ones (before they became SUV's) seem pretty sturdy...

I drove a friends Samurai a few times and was unimpressed... even with bigger, wider that stock tires, it seemed sort of unstable...

OTOH, my wife thinks that they, and the other import ones like it, are "cute"

*sigh*

Being married 3 times, I've grown to hate 2 words: Cute and Sale... Mac

mac davis

Great idea... if I could buy one for 5k and sell it for 30k, my 4x4 budget would be bigger!

OTOH, it would be sort on redundant since our 99 Ram is a laramie with AC and leather.. it just doesn't burn oil yet.. Mac

mac davis

Ya have to use decent tires.

Bro, the deal with the cj is parts availability is real good There are a ton of parts catalogs for them as well. You can run them forever with a 1/2" & 9/16 wrench and some duct tape. Sure they ain't too pretty but they are functional.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Old CJs are really tough. I'd also suggest, if you find one, a 60s through 80s International Scout. Those were even tougher than Jeeps, and parts are available through any truck parts dealer.

Reply to
Just Another

The scouts were tough. Haven't seen any around here in a long time. I would think that body parts are tough to find though.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Might be a possibility, but they're kind of hard to run AC unless you have a hard top...

Seems like there's tons of wagoneers and cherokees down there, though..

Mac

mac davis

wow.. flashback time.... I drove those on guard duty at Fort Ord in the 60's.. lol

Mac

mac davis