ot: rant for the day

Page 1 of 2
i just heard on the news that the price of oil has fallen 35% since july!
i really haven't tracked it all that well, but it doesn't seem to me that the price at the pumps have fallen 35%.
now, keep in mind that the oil companies were awfully quick to raise the price at the pumps--a few times when the price of a barrel of oil went up the pump price went up that same day in response, even though the price of the gas you were buying wasn't included in the per barrel jump.
now if bush wants to know what to do to get his ratings back...........well for my part he could kick the big oil companies ass' a little. that would make me like him a whole lot more!

ah but where did his family's money come from?
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Ah, let me guess here, Prostitution, screwing around with the minds of the American voters :)))

He will not betray his owners, especially when he will out of office soon and wants that money.

Never fear, Pelosi to the rescue! This will help lower gas prices!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070117/ap_on_go_co/congress100_hours
energy legislation that imposes billions in fees, taxes and royalties on oil and gas companies and uses the money to promote renewable fuels.
HHmm...and where do we think the big oil companies will get those fees etc refunded from? Us...the consumer as a result of even higher fuel prices.
Laszlo Almasi
I wouldn't bet on that because if they do, they risk federal price controls.

"Carolina Watercraft Works" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

Prices don't fall at the same rate as they go up because all the suppliers/retailers wait to see what each other are doing before lowering a price. They don't want to lower until they have to. Competition makes a price drop slower occurring.
Upward price is more instantaneous. You've got to pay the increase to get the product.
I would think political liberals would be pleased with high oil prices. It's the one certain way to depress demand, encourage the profitability of newer methods of producing fuel or energy and reducing greenhouse gases through reduced CO2 output from our motor vehicle exhausts.
Instead, the politicians grandstand about "investigating" price increases, vilify oil companies and promise all sorts of "price relief" plans to get the price lower again.
The very thing that keeps alternative energy forms from coming on to the market!
SMH
I'm sure they'll accept lower profits to pay those extra taxes? I'm certain their stockholders will accept that. I'm not greedy, I never sell underperforming stocks...people I know sell their stock for what they paid for it, they're not greedy either...
/>sarcasm off
sheesh...

snipped-for-privacy@whatever.net wrote:

Bush doesn't control the price of oil or gas. They're commodities. I do wish he'd get rid of some of the subsidies going to oil companies and trash the Democrats restrictions on building new refineries.

The energy policies implemented by his do have influence on the prices. As for the Democrats restrictions, what a load of crap. They will not build more because that would cause the price to drop and they know it. After Katrina, they had a green light to build and refused, claiming it was more cost effective to improve their existing refineries, IOW, keep the number small so the risk remains high and they can make a killing.

TBone wrote:
As

Your political bias is showing again. In 6 states oil companies have had requests to build refineries for years. In Arizona after 14 years they finally got the approval to build one of the 3 requested. This one will probably be completed in about 6-8 years. It's the only one approved in the entire nation.
Bush was bought and paid for by BIG OIL. What do you expect him to do?

I hope W does something to keep the price of California produce under contol because of the freeze they supposedly suffered...
Shees, the president no more controls the weather than he controls the price of oil. Have you forgotten about the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) from whom we import most of the oil we use on a daily basis? When ever the price of oil drops, OPEC reduces production in order to artificially drive the price up. I heard today that they are planning to do just that because crude oil has hit $51/barrel. Oh, lets not forget that not a single new refinery has been built in the US since the '70s and the formulations required by the EPA and various states has become more complex, hence more expensive to produce, yet the "evil" oil companies have been able to increase the amount of refined products in the pipelines. Also, China is the largest growing ecomony on the planet and their thirst is insatiable. Hell, they tried to buy Unical! Luckily Chevron saved our oil consuming interests. I wish all you liberal, finger pointers could live in the world you create and let us realistic people live in ours, but unfortunately our worlds are the same.
Why don't you demand energy price control? That may keep the price of energy down, but there will be so little of it only the privilaged few - politicians most likely - will be able to buy it.
Now that I've had my rant you may respond as best as you may and I will do my best to educate you.

I buy John Deere oil by the 45 cdn gal drum. Its 15-40. In the fall the price was $580 something, now its gone up to $735.
On 1/17/07 7:58 PM, in article ynBrh.5245$9B6.4801@trnddc07, "Ed H."

contol
price
LOL, wrong and we are talking about the price of gasoline which he can have influence over, especially with the drastic drop in oil prices.

Possibly but it hasn't happened yet and the price of oil is very low and yet, the price of gas has not moved all that much to the down side.

I'm sure that they are as they don't want to give away their only resource but it still hasn't happened yet.

complex,
able
Damn right they have with the outrageous profits they are making from it. No new refineries have been built by the oil companies choice as increased availability results in lower prices.

insatiable.
Bullshit.
world
LOL, get real. Do you work for the oil companies? The facts remain that if anything happens or even the risk of something happening, the prices shoot up that second but when the risks subside, the price never returns back to where it was and takes forever to come down much at all. Why is that Mr. real world????

More complete crap. As long as they are making a profit, they will continue to sell it, despite your lame fear tactics.

I think that you need to do some learning yourself.

TBone wrote:

What secret power does the president have over the cost of gasoline at the pumps?
miles wrote:

Executive Order???
SMH
Stephen Harding wrote:

The president can issue an EO that fixes retail gas prices at the pump? I don't think too many people will go along with that one.