P0455 message questions

2001 Dakota Truck runs fine, except it's fuel usage could be better. Check engine light throws code P0455.
Ok, so I know P0455 means a large evaporative emissions leak. It used
to be p0422 or whatever the small leak message is, but has changed.
I changed the gas cap, code comes back. I still never get that little vacuum noise when I remove the gas cap. The receiver top seems to be plastic, what's underneath looks a little rusted. Could it be the cause of the error? is this a "user replaceable" part?
In looking up the code, it said to check the gas cap, or "Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses (you may hear a vacuum noise or smell fuel), repair if necessary"
The inspection part sounds like something I could do myself, if only I knew what I should be inspecting. Is it possible for someone to tell me what I should be looking at/for? Or should I just take it to a mechanic and let them have at it? What sort of costs am I looking at to repair this?
I was originally gonna wait till we got back to the US to get this fixed (we're already starting to pack!), but now it looks like we're going to Remoteville in a country with no Chryslers, much less Dodge.
Any help appreciated. Guess I'd better go find myself a Haynes manual :)
jmc
Good luck! My daughters 01 dakota is showing the same code.
If anybody is reading this, where can I find a schematic of the Evap System?
TIA
Hank
It's usually a cracked hose coming out of the charcoal conister. The canister is located underneath the truck around the area where the drivers seat would be. Take a look at those hose ends and make sure they're not cracked. If they are, cut off the end and re-install them. Maybe use a hose clamp to keep them on night and tight. Then re-set your PCM and that should work if its the problem. Good luck.

or a loose gas cap.. DAMHIKT

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Suddenly, without warning, mac davis exclaimed (06-Feb-06 6:03 PM):

sure it's on tight. Unless there's some other way it can be loose that I don't know about...
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, joe exclaimed (06-Feb-06 3:43 AM):

computers, not trucks, usually).
jmc
Joe writes: It's usually a cracked hose coming out of the charcoal conister. The canister is located underneath the truck around the area where the drivers seat would be. Take a look at those hose ends and make sure they're not
cracked. If they are, cut off the end and re-install them. Maybe use a hose clamp to keep them on night and tight. Then re-set your PCM and that should work if its the problem. Good luck.
I know it isn't my gas cap also. I bought a new one and even exchanged it. Also made sure it was tight and right.
I will check the canister hoses too.
Thanks,
Hank
Just had the same code on my 2002 Dodge Ram 4.7 Quadcab. Replaced gas cap to no avail. Took vehicle to the crooked dealer..oops, the nice dealer...they ran an emissions test with the EELD machine, applied smoke to find the leak, and ended up tightening the fuel pump lock ring. Test and fix was $149.54. Would've been okay, except they forgot to hook the connection back to the emissions purge valve solenoid so the vehicle started giving the P0443 code. They didn't notice the code change, assumed it was still P0455, and told me they couldn't get rid of the leak so they recommended I replace the fuel tank at a cost of $900.00+. I self-diagnosed the P0443 after refusing to take their word, found the problem, plugged the power back to the emissions purge valve solenoid, and the check engine light has cleared, no problems, no OBD codes, everything running fine. I'm tempted to inform the dealer of their ineptness.
Chilton's manual was very helpful!