Polishing a t*rd

Page 2 of 2
Steve Lusardi wrote:

Steve, you're right. The rig IS 18 years old! Guess I should be more tolerant. After all, Merle Haggard sang, "I wish a Ford and a Chevy, would still last 10 years... like they should."
That metal throttle linkage clip I used IS a better idea though. I don't expect it to fail any time soon.

--
John Corliss BS206

Only lasted 16 years? I'd be pissed..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
<snip>

the dash in my 91 dakota is starting to crack.
recently i had to replace one of the plastic retainers on a windshield wiper mechanism. i think i may just call mopar and give them a piece of my mind. if they had built these parts out of metal they would have been all rusty and i could be having to grind them off or drill them out before i replaced them.
maybe i'll just go buy a six ohh powerstroke ford instead. my dodge trucks are not breaking often enough to keep me busy. i did have to change the oil on the 97 ram today and decided to grease the front end while i was at it. the only plastic part i encountered in this adventure was the washer on the oil drain plug and it hasn't broken yet but i am waiting for it to so i can gripe about it. ;-) michael
mac davis wrote:

Ahs disbusted.
At any rate, I don't expect that metal clip I used to give up the ghost any time soon.
--
John Corliss

John Corliss wrote:

1. I was cranky and it was too early. 2. The truck IS 16 years old. 3. I was able to get the door apart very easily and do the repair. 4. When my friend said, "John, you can only polish a turd so much" he was mainly referring to me beating out a dent on a vehicle with a very bad looking paint job. 5. The paint is bad because my friend never EVER washed the truck in the whole time he owned it, TTBOMK. When you do that, and the truck sits out in the Oregon rain all the time, the paint is bound to go bad.
The truck starts and the motor runs well. Only real problem is that the motor races a little for some reason when I coast down the hill with my foot off the gas, or roll backwards, again in neutral and with my foot off the gas. I talked on the phone to a Lithia Dodge service tech today and he said that he's never heard of such a problem in over 20 years of working on Dodges. Said that I should clean my throttle body, but I see it as some kind of sensor related issue.
--
John Corliss

Clean it anyway... can't hurt... will probably help. If the paint never got washed in 16 years, just think how cruddy the TB must be.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

I've run some injector cleaner through it and my friend did so regularly. This helps, but of course taking the TB apart and cleaning it is probably a good idea.
And I *did* wash it, but the paint is so course in places that it shredded my cotton wash pad and left lint all over the rig. No biggie though, I found a can of acrylic enamel at the local NAPA. It matches the Colorado Red color almost exactly. Will be sanding the bad spots down, rattle can primering them and then touching them up with that can of red AE. If that doesn't work (and I'm very good at rattle can painting) then I'll get a spray gun, some paint and spray the truck myself.
Now THAT'S how to "polish a turd"!
--
John Corliss

John Corliss wrote: