Polishing a t*rd

Yeah, but they're pretty much unnecessary - you can just cycle the key and count the number of times the Check Engine light flashes. This procedure should work on your truck, if it becomes necessary:

Tom Lawrence

That's what I've been doing (instructions are in the Haynes manual my friend gave me with the truck.) But as aarcuda69062 pointed out, if the Check Engine light hasn't been coming on (and it hasn't) I don't really need to check for error codes anyway.

Reply to
John Corliss

Well, not entirely true. There are codes that can get set that won't illuminate the CE light.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Should be cheaper than OBDII. My EQUUS OBD-II reader was around $100, works decent, so I checked their site to see what they might have for you.

's a reader for GM, one for Ford, one for Imports, and...the one for Chrysler isn't merely a code reader, it's a "Code Reading System"! Oh boy.

clicked "enlarge image", zoomed in on that some more, and could read on the packaging that the procedure is to "Cycle Vehicle's Ignition Key" then "Read Fault Codes" then refer to booklet to "Pinpoint Problems"There's no code reader at all, it's just a pamphlet with the codes listed. And you can find that info for free.

Reply to
Beryl

Well, I know that the 12 code (battery has recently been disconnected) won't light the CE indicator. My Haynes manual lists all the fault codes, but doesn't say which ones do or don't turn on that light.

Reply to
John Corliss

Thanks for finding this site. I've sent them a message on their contact page asking for clarification regarding why I should spend $39.86 on that item, and what is included in addition to a description of fault codes. I'll be very surprised if I get a reply from them.

Reply to
John Corliss

Try the link I posted. It does.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I just learned last night that my friend has been running the truck without a thermostat. That's why he was blocking the radiator off with pieces of cardboard. He took it out because the truck kept blowing head gaskets by cyl. 2. His theory was that the backpressure from the operational thermostat contributed to the head gasket blowing.

But first, he had the head boiled while it was off and left the coolant temperature sensor in it. Shortly after he put the head back on, he noticed that the fan refused to come on so he bought a new CTS that was made in Mexico. It made no difference, so he bought another one made in Pennysylvania. It's in there now, but the fan still didn't come on and the truck would overheat. After he figured out this was happening, he removed the thermostat and started using the cardboard system.

This has GOT to be generating some kind of code, but when I disconnected the battery I wiped any codes out for the time being.

Reply to
John Corliss