RE47 troubles get strange

Talked to shop today. They are still trying to figure out the problem.
They had to put in new clutches. It was modded to hold 4, and said seemed as
though 5 was tried to be put in it. They were not burned out, but blackened from severe heat. Indications that this have been going on for a while.
Shop manager said that there are numerous mods done on the trans that make the overall performance of the trans operate better.
They will have it together today to run fluid pressure test on it today to find out where a restriction is in fluid flow that caused the clutches to heat up like that.
Indications are either a restriction somewhere or a problem with torque converter. The thing is I always kept my eye on trans temp gauge and the most I ever saw it go up to was 280.
Anyone got ideas to this could happen?
So it seems better off I sent it to the shop.

For some reason 280 seems a bit hot to me.

A bit? How about a LOT hot...

That was tongue in cheek.

Somewhere around 280 to 300 a tranny can die in short order not to mention it is heck on seals too. Realistically you do not want to be much above 220 or so for any period of time and 180 to 200 or so is ideal. When you get above 230 or so it is time to "cool out" IF you want it to last. Is this a truck with a lift and big tires with stock gears than is riding the converter stall a lot? If so it can drive tranny temps up a lot. Also, do you have a aux tranny cooler in circuit? As far as oil flow thru cooler you could start it up breifly and see if the is a good flow into a open container to catch it (it should shoot out good) If it does not you have your problem but if it does you have other issues. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Of course it has a cooler. It is also thermostat controlled. And a little hard to test it while it is in the transmission shop.

You did not answer if it was lifted with big tires and stock gears thought. If you do, a fan cooled cooler is not going to "fix" that. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Opps..typo...180..though I do believe it did get up to 200 last summer while sitting in traffic while the temp was 100 outside.

That's better. I use to get up to 210 when doing a lot of backing up when plowing snow.

That's quite hot for the winter time. Maybe you need a cooler also.

When you get your truck back, after the transmission is up to operating temp, find a mt parking lot, put it in reverse and start to back up. Watch the gauge climb.

Okay I will try it, but maybe it won't get too hot as the thermostat controlled fan will cut in and cool it down.

Not really, plowing you can ride converter a lot and there is not much airflow at low speeds. 210 is not cause for concern here at all. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com