setting up prodigy

i got my prodigy installed and it seems to be stopping the trailer just fine but im unsure of the adjustments. the video said to slide the manual lever all the way to the left and adjust the setting to 6.0 volts and then adjust as needed to get the wheels just before lock up. well, i dont know how to tell when im "just before lock up". i do feel a slight push when im stopping. not bad, but slight. also do i need to reset this as my load changes? i just cant see how 6 volts would provide the same stopping power at 3000 pounds as it would at 10000 pounds. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nate;

I've got the Sentinel model, and I just crank up the gain till it feels like there's no trailer back there

I'dsay you need a bit more if you feel a push when braking

TranSurgeon

the trailer empty weighs 3000 pounds and i havent tried to haul anything in it yet. how much more would you recommend? i dont want to burn flat spots in my tires while trying to zero this thing in. ....makes me wonder if i shoulda just got the surge brakes.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

you'll know when you go too far.....severe tire hop on the trailer !!!!

Reply to
TranSurgeon

heh. yeah, but then i get flat spots on the tires.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

nah...not unloaded

just watch the trailer in the mirror, you'll see it start vibrating before the REAL serious hop sets in

Reply to
TranSurgeon

but wont i need to readjust after the trailer is loaded?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

maybe a bit

my experience with the 'Sentinel' has been to adjust it just short of wheel-hop when unloaded and activating it manually (no braking in towing vehicle), than add just 'a tad' more for lite loads and a couple of tads for heavy loads

you'll get the hang of it very fast, it becomes automatic after a few days

Reply to
TranSurgeon

That's what the boost function is for... just dial in a boost level of 1,

2, or 3, depending on the relative weight of the trailer. You leave the base setting (for the empty weight) alone.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

In my honest opinion you would not want surge brakes, at least in the north east they are illigal in most states if the trailer is over 1,000 LBS. Just adjust the controler untill it feels right (little push or if pintle lock no slamming from the rear). I've found that no two trailers brake the same and the same trailer at different weights will not be the same.

Reply to
Brian

ill be ordering the brake smart system for sure. i can always keep the prodigy for a back up. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

the base setting will be fine for 3000 (empty weight) to 10000 (fully loaded)?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

the 'base' setting is for 'empty'

then 'boost' adjusts for the load

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Then explain why I've rented 12,000lb. trailers from the rental yards here in NJ with surge brakes?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Bad news, Nate... you'll have to adjust that one, as well. Thousands of people use the Prodigy for everything from a small utility trailer up through the 30'+ 5th wheels... it's not that hard.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

? their website claims otherwise. best i can tell you get the base setting and everything else is adjusted by fluid pressure which would be more with a heavier load.

im sure i can figure it out, but im concerned about trying to teach the wifey how to figure it out.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

That's what I mean... you have to adjust it for the base setting, which is what it seems you're unhappy about with the Prodigy.

Again... get it dialed in properly for the empty trailer, then just adjust the boost based on how much stuff you have in the trailer.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Reply to
Badger

It's a personal thing, but I'd rather have a slight "pull" when I step on the brake.. that's the trailer slowing the truck down... I just adjusted it so that it felt natural when slowing and stopping and left it alone... you might adjust for a heavy load, in your case, but trial and error is the only way to really get it set up..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

hell, Nate... my wife figured it out before I did, on our 1st short trip... like most guys, I was out-teching myself and she (not knowing how or why the controller worked), just dialed in what felt right and kept on truckin'..