setting up prodigy

Page 1 of 2
i got my prodigy installed and it seems to be stopping the trailer just fine but im unsure of the adjustments. the video said to slide the manual lever
all the way to the left and adjust the setting to 6.0 volts and then adjust as needed to get the wheels just before lock up. well, i dont know how to tell when im "just before lock up". i do feel a slight push when im stopping. not bad, but slight. also do i need to reset this as my load changes? i just cant see how 6 volts would provide the same stopping power at 3000 pounds as it would at 10000 pounds. thanks,
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

the trailer empty weighs 3000 pounds and i havent tried to haul anything in it yet. how much more would you recommend? i dont want to burn flat spots in my tires while trying to zero this thing in. <sigh>....makes me wonder if i shoulda just got the surge brakes.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

heh. yeah, but then i get flat spots on the tires.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

but wont i need to readjust after the trailer is loaded?
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

That's what the boost function is for... just dial in a boost level of 1, 2, or 3, depending on the relative weight of the trailer. You leave the base setting (for the empty weight) alone.

the base setting will be fine for 3000 (empty weight) to 10000 (fully loaded)?
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

In my honest opinion you would not want surge brakes, at least in the north east they are illigal in most states if the trailer is over 1,000 LBS. Just adjust the controler untill it feels right (little push or if pintle lock no slamming from the rear). I've found that no two trailers brake the same and the same trailer at different weights will not be the same.

ill be ordering the brake smart system for sure. i can always keep the prodigy for a back up. thanks,
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Bad news, Nate... you'll have to adjust that one, as well. Thousands of people use the Prodigy for everything from a small utility trailer up through the 30'+ 5th wheels... it's not that hard.

? their website claims otherwise. best i can tell you get the base setting and everything else is adjusted by fluid pressure which would be more with a heavier load.

im sure i can figure it out, but im concerned about trying to teach the wifey how to figure it out.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

That's what I mean... you have to adjust it for the base setting, which is what it seems you're unhappy about with the Prodigy.

Again... get it dialed in properly for the empty trailer, then just adjust the boost based on how much stuff you have in the trailer.
After watching this thread, I question whether you should be pulling a trailer at all. Let alone teach someone else how. Clay

this coming from a flat lander im not surprised. out here towing is another animal entirely.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

And you've been a mountain man for how long now, Nate? :)

long enough to know that towing out here is a lot different. :-) the interstates arent to bad, but i didnt really trust my draw tite controller to do the job even on the interstates. the highways and particularly the smaller roads give "steep" an entirely new meaning.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com