Snow plowing

Anyone plow with a Dakota? Am thinking of buying one to plow a small condo complex with short narrow drives and streets. Any thoughts? Fred

Never plowed with a Dakota but...............a couple of thoughts come to mind.
Short narrow drives and streets are a pia. No place for the snow to roll off the blade, you have to have some weight and grunt to push the snow and stack it. Also, if you have to back drag, a light plow on a Dakota probably won't do it.
Commercial plowing is best done with a properly optioned 3/4 ton or bigger truck. I wouldn't want to be out in one of those 2-3 inch per hour storms with a Dakota. But that's me, you on the other hand......
Roy

And...... any plow truck without heated leather seats is useless IMHO.......
;^)
Mike

I don't but a good friend of mine uses a '93-'94?? Dakota with a 6.5' Western. It does fine on driveways and little spots where you have a couple of swipes and go. Anything over about 6" and it takes him a while. He does one parking lot for a bowling alley and takes him a couple of hours to do it. I drove by and looked at it one time and had to chuckle, it shouldn't have taken over about 45 minutes for the lot. Overall, he's happy with it.
Btw, I second what Roy said, a bigger truck will handle it better.
Denny
I agree, a bigger truck will be better, but the turning radius is the problem. With the short drives, narrow streets and split rail fences, turning and backing becomes a real problem. I have a 2001 Ford F250 and a 2005 2500 Ram, both seem to be too long when you hang a plow on the front. Fred

Where are you Roy? I saw a CJ-5 in fresh paint the other day while on the road. It was outside Amsterdam NY. Was sitting on a trailer for sale for 1500.00
--
Steve W.

As for plowing I ran a plow outfit on a CJ for a few years. Nice and

I'm in southeastern MA. If you are able shoot me the phone number for it. It won't hurt to talk to the owner.
Roy

Mon.)
-

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Roy

"fredbarga246" wrote:

I have plowed snow for over 20 years now and with as much as 3 trucks on time. Lightweight trucks are "toys" at best pushing snow because when it gets ugly you need weight and grunt to get the job done. If you want to clear your driveway that is one thing but to use it commercailly is another matter. I can clear over a foot of snow in one 8 foot pass wet or dry with relative ease. Also when you plow you want to plow at about 6 to 10 MPH when possible because with a good plow design it will roll it and throw it out further off of the side of the blade and make a small edge stack. A far as length, I alway use 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with standard cabs and SRWs and I have no turning issues and this is where chevies after 87 shine for two reasons. They turn tight and the CV joints in front axle shafts with IFS do not torque bind/whip back through steering wheel like a straight axle will when you crowd it in a tight turn plowing. I must admitt I was apprehensive when I got my first IFS GM truck to plow with but now I would NEVER go back to a striaght front axled plow truck.

Sounds like a plan for breakage.

I'm not going to comment on this other than to say that around here chevies are the least popular plow truck.
Roy

x-no-archive: yes

The Dakota is a very light duty truck. A 3/4 ton or better will stand up to the abuse of snow plowing better than a Dakota.
If you just want to remove snow, purchase a used farm tractor with a drag blade.