Plowing with a TJ

I am setting up a 97 Tj for driveway plowing.I just installed a Fisher minute mount 6-9 plow.I am wondering what tire type to use. It wont get driven on the roads more than a few times a year so noise and ride wont matter.

Anyone running a setup like this?

Thanks Gene

Reply to
Gene fxdl

L.W.(ßill)

Try tall thin snow tires for most plowing applications. Snow tires are different than M&S (Mud and Snow tires or All Season). Snow tires have special compounds, tread, and body constructions which are specifically designed to enhance their behavior in cold winter conditions. When the temperature drops well below freezing, M&S tire compounds will harden and cause them to loose their grip. In deep snow, snow treads improve traction by allowing the tire to rid itself of snow as it rolls, giving it a clear bite on the road. Most folks plowing commercially around here in the north east use stock or taller snow tires with little to no increased width and rarely ever studded. I've tried plowing with wider, aggressive tires and they do most certainly ride on top of the snow, like snow boards! To push snow you need traction to drive and most importantly, steer. Floating on top is not traction and will find you in a ditch with your angled plow before you know it. (Sorry Bill! Great idea for sand but not pushing self packing snow) If the snow tires still slip (hard pack and ice uphill) then a $60-$80 set of ice chains will do for those rare occasions. Not those cheesy cable things either, real chains with ice bits welded to each contact link. (you said you didn't care about noise right? ) One set on the rears only! I learned my lesson chaining all four! Lets just say there is a time and a place where your traction had better give.

I've plowed many driveways and parking lots as well as large areas of lakes and ponds for ice sports with snow tires (and chains which I rarely needed). I've paid the repair costs that come with so much plowing. I hope your just doing it for yourself because Wranglers do not make the best plows since a longer wheelbase is better suited for it.

Cheers!

Perry

Gene fxdl wrote:

Reply to