Strange Warning

I was creeping along on a series of ramps to exit one expressway and enter another. Suddenly, my '04 Durango Hemi Ltd. starts "bonging". I look at the instrument cluster, and see no idiot lights. Gauges all look normal.

It sounded like the seatbelt unbuckled warning, but the belt was securely buckled and had been for almost an hour. After about 10 seconds, it stopped. When I reached my next stop, I checked for codes and found none.

Later on, it occurred to me that I remembered something about a turn signal warning to alert you that your turn signal had been on for more than X time. On the series of 3 circular ramps, mine had certainly been on for a while. I checked the manual and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if there is such a warning? If not, anybody got any idea what it was all about?

Reply to
Langerhans

Yep - if your signal is on for more than seconds (I think it's 60, but it may be less), the chime will go off. Perfectly normal :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks, Tom. I'm not used to getting "boinged" in traffic. :-)

Reply to
Langerhans

IIRC, it's a function of both distance and speed. If the T/S is left on for more than a mile and the vehicle speed is >15 mph the chime while remind you to turn the T/S off.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

it happened to me the other day. really surprised me. i was checking all my guages, trying to find out what was gonna blow up on me when i saw the turn signal was on.

Reply to
the guy

Ahhh... yeah, that would make more sense than a straight time period, huh?

Those Germans... they think of EVERYTHING! :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I had a Suzuki bike in the 70's that did about the same thing... turned off the blinker if it was on more than a certain time and over about 10 mph.. handy! I don't know if I'd want an alarm, though, just turn the damn thing off.. lol Mac

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Reply to
mac davis

Oh, I want the alarm... not for me, because I don't leave mine on. But I want the thing blaring a recording, something to the effect of, "Hey, DUMBASS! Turn the damn blinker off, and stop looking like an IMBECILE!"... or something similar. You know - just to convey the necessity of the situation :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Isn't that what teenage daughters are for? I didn't spend x thousands of dollars on a car to have it insult me! (LOL)

Reply to
CZ10

good point... now, if they could come up with a cell phone that says "put me down and drive, asshole"... Mac

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Reply to
mac davis

IMBECILE!"...

LOL sounds like tom has been somewhere near me in traffic when i was fallowing someone who had left their signal on.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson