Fuel Saving Devices

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@tjcains.freeserve.co.uk says...

I wish now I'd kept all the raw data. It would have been over a period of almost a year (as a tank lasts me about a fortnight) and I honestly can't remember what time of year I fitted it. However I was wary of the fact that any apparent long-term improvement might be due to seasonal weather change. I remember noting at the time of fitting the Ecotek that there did *appear* to have been a step change improvement of a few MPG, comparing the last few tanks before the fill-up with the first few after.

I haven't been keeping a careful fuel log for a while, but there'd be no problem starting again.

Doubt it. <pedant> It's a dual carriageway :-) </pedant>

Interesting - are you saying then that there are modes in which a device like this could reasonably be expected to improve MPG on older engines without ill effect? (No offence taken about the tough-as-old-boots Skoda engine, BTW - camchains, don't you just love 'em? My Skoda is a political statement on wheels - "THIS IS JUST A FORM OF TRANSPORT"!)

The valve is set to start opening (ϊrting) just above idle, so I can't rule out some effect. But it's not something I'd swear to. It just seems that bit more willing to take a certain couple of roundabouts in 3rd gear.
Cheers, snipped-for-privacy@SNAKEOILDEVICEiee.org (remove snake oil device to reply ;-).
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com says... I remember noting at the time of fitting the Ecotek that

Doh. For 'fill-up' read 'fitting of the Ecotek'.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I read somewhere that the Ecotek reduces the engine braking effect, and therefore might make a car feel 'more willing' i.e. less willing to slow down!
Add pictures here
βœ–

I can't see how that would happen; the engine braking's surely due to the engine's compression and nothing else?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Agreed. No offense meant :-)

Potentially, yes. If the engine is set to run slightly rich on a cruise, say lambda 0.95 (ie 5% excess fuel), and you add extra air via the Ecotek to bring it back to lambda 1, you'll get an economy improvement. You would also get the same improvement by simply retuning your engine, though, without the cost and farting noise! Crucially, post-1993 all petrol cars in Europe have been fitted with lambda sensors to accurately control the mixture to lambda 1 under all normal running conditions. Hence this mode of operation is no longer possible.

The point is that at WOT the manifold vacuum is essentially zero, and so there is no pressure to drive air through the Ecotek valve. So there isn't any flow, and so it can't have any effect.
Tony
(replace "nospam" with "fuel" to reply)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:28:15 -0000, "Dee"

Training of the right foot will do a whole lot more good. Look ahead and drive smoothly so you don't throw away fuel accelerating only to use it few seconds later heating the brakes.
βœ–

I'll bet that simply weakening off the mixture a little bit would have the same 'apparent' effect
Add pictures here
βœ–

I can think of many reasons.
It was stripped totally of sound insulation, carpets, electric windows etc, and all creature comforts. It used special low friction tyres and say drum brakes adjusted to give zero fiction when not in use. It was so high geared to make driving a nightmare. It was built out of foil to also save weight. The engine couldn't pass modern emission regs.
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

βœ–