350 to 455

Hello All
Happy new year and all that !
I was thinking of upgrading my engine. I have a 73 350 pontiac engine in my 78 firebird.
Will a pontiac trans-am 455 fit strait in or is the bell housing different ?
Thanks
Rich

?
yes
snipped-for-privacy@handmade-f9.co.uk says...

Direct swap.
Dennis Smith
Must be nice to have a 455 laying around.. <sigh> Someday.. <grin>
-Geno <Insert my 3 cars here>
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:32:54 -0500, "KITTvsKARR"

Oh, I don't know, I have a bunch of stuff laying around and it's not exactly a nice feeling thinking what to do with the shortblock 350 with the TRW dome pistons in it, or what to do with the dismantled 454, or the 63' fuelie heads with the small chambers, or the square port big block manifold I just picked up tonight for practically free, it cost me a QuadraJet I had laying around collecting dust. Or the tunnel ram set up, or the TorkerII manifold, or any number of things collecting dust on the shelf.
It's just not right that I am constantly thinking about these things so I suggest that you don't collect go fast parts just to sit on the shelf. What you should do is send them up to me so they can sit on my shelves. :-) :^)

Or send them to one of the groups friendly canadian posters :D
Thanks Dennis
I thought it would but someone suggested to me that it might not, so I was just checking before I go out a spend my money !
Rich
says...

Don't forget about front suspension, linkages and motor mounts
?
What about them ? Much work / cost ?
Thanks
Rich

tricky wrote:

    The front springs might have a stiffer rate on factory 455 cars. Everything else is the same. Externally a 350 & 455 Pontiac Engines are the same, some engines have a extra engine mount hole, others have to have it drilled and tapped.
Charles
Thanks Charles.
I suppose its like the old saying - make sure you can stop faster befor you can go faster !
Rich

Aren't Pontiac 350 and 455s dimensionally similar and weigh about the same? -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Yep, as far as I know that is the case with the exception of the 301.
That swap will bolt right in.
A word of advice- most 350 engines had very thick bores and would take a .120" overbore
You could bore the 350 block to 4" bore, and drop in an aftermarket Butler 455 crank cut to 3"mains-
and you would have a home-grown 427 CID Pontiac
4" bore x 4.25" stroke

I've heard of 350s punching through the cylinder wall during boring at .090". Any way to tell if it's a thinwall or thickwall block on a visual inspection?
Some real light pistons and BBC rods would make a solid roller 427 poncho very interesting. I was planning on using the spare 455 in the 71 Formula but a Formula 427 just sounds cool. I already thought of punching a 400 out to a 409 and with a green/blue paint scheme would give me a Formula 409. ;^)
Dave