350 to 455

Hello All

Happy new year and all that !

I was thinking of upgrading my engine. I have a 73 350 pontiac engine in my

78 firebird.

Will a pontiac trans-am 455 fit strait in or is the bell housing different ?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
tricky

yes

Reply to
numbnutz

Direct swap.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Must be nice to have a 455 laying around.. Someday..

-Geno

Reply to
KITTvsKARR

Oh, I don't know, I have a bunch of stuff laying around and it's not exactly a nice feeling thinking what to do with the shortblock 350 with the TRW dome pistons in it, or what to do with the dismantled

454, or the 63' fuelie heads with the small chambers, or the square port big block manifold I just picked up tonight for practically free, it cost me a QuadraJet I had laying around collecting dust. Or the tunnel ram set up, or the TorkerII manifold, or any number of things collecting dust on the shelf.

It's just not right that I am constantly thinking about these things so I suggest that you don't collect go fast parts just to sit on the shelf. What you should do is send them up to me so they can sit on my shelves. :-) :^)

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Thanks Dennis

I thought it would but someone suggested to me that it might not, so I was just checking before I go out a spend my money !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Or send them to one of the groups friendly canadian posters :D

Reply to
BarracudaDesigns

Don't forget about front suspension, linkages and motor mounts

Reply to
al
?

What about them ? Much work / cost ?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
tricky

The front springs might have a stiffer rate on factory 455 cars. Everything else is the same. Externally a 350 & 455 Pontiac Engines are the same, some engines have a extra engine mount hole, others have to have it drilled and tapped.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

On 12 Jan 2006 10:42:20 -0800, "al" puked:

Aren't Pontiac 350 and 455s dimensionally similar and weigh about the same?

lab~rat

Thanks Charles.

I suppose its like the old saying - make sure you can stop faster befor you can go faster !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Yep, as far as I know that is the case with the exception of the 301.

...Ron