Do I have a bad starter or bad PASS Key ?

I have a '94 Camaro and often have to turn the ignition key several times to get the engine to crank.
I understand that if there's a problem with the PASS key
it wouldn't let me start the engine for several minutes after each failed attempt. But since this isn't the case I think the problem must be a bad starter motor.
Should I just go ahead and replace the starter motor or is there anything else I can do to make sure that this is really the cause of the problem ?
Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com
Sounds like the key. Mine did the same for ages - the 'security' light came on. Finally the security light decided to just stay on and it starts just fine. '94 build V6?
Murray
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com wrote:

* Murray Kelly vk4aok
When my firebird was doing the same thing, it turned out the starter solenoid was bad. I had to turn the key a couple times and would only get a click, then wait a couple seconds and then it would start. Never got the VATS timed lockout though.
-Bruce
Same type of symptoms happened to me with a '93 Formula, finally one day I couldn;t get it to start at all, and had to have it towed to the dealer. Ended up being a wire broken off in the column that worked with the Pass-Key. I'd have it checked out before you throw money at it by guessing. Chad
Thanks for the suggestion. I've decided to try to remove the starter myself and take it to an auto-part store to have it checked out. But since the problem is intermitten I don't know if they will be able to find out anything.
I got a pair of Rhino ramps from Kmart today for about $30. Hopefully the starter won't be too difficult to remove.