HELP: Trunk Won't stay shut

Hope someone can help me out. I have a 96' V6 automatic that just recently the trunk won't stay shut when I push it down to close it. I am trying to locate the part but I do not know what it is called. It is
the part where the key goes and there is a short metal rod that turns the trunk lock to open it. It is black in color and held on by 3 small bolts/screws. I took the darn thing out and went to the scrap yard and they wanted $50.00 for it. Of course I didn't want to get it. Also, there is a black plastic attachment to this trunk lock down unit which when I remove it from the metal part, the trunk lock will work. When I put it back on, the trunk will not close. I can't figure out why. Hope someone has some info for me which I will greatly appreciate. Thank you Winston
Is it an electric pull down? If so, I was having the same problem for a while.. the part that sticks down from the hatch wasn't angled right to touvh it.. and the catch would stay down and it wouldn't latch unless I tripped the switch in it.. I re aligned the top piece and its been working fine... not sure if thats your prob though...
-Geno 1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L w/T-tops (150k and going... getting worried) 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L w/5-Speed (No T-tops though) Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops or parts from one
Check E-bay for the trunk release. Got one a few years ago for $ 10.00. You can check your local GM dealer for a replacement as well.
Locks and springs do go bad over time.