What type of fuel to use in V6?

Hello. I have a 1994 Firebird with a 3.4 V6. Is it OK to use regular unleaded, or must I use premium?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (JJ) wrote in message

Its my opinion that you should ALWAYS use regular unless you specifically need a higher grade. Read - detonation problems.
Premium sits in the tanks at the gas station much too long and is usually going bad or already gone bad by the time it is purchased. How do I know? We tested some stations this summer and all the premium fuels tested bad.
What you mean BAD? polluted, not enough octane, Is this true that Sunoco gas has the least carbon in it and Esso the most? Greg

Bad, meaning the lighter components of the gasoline (the stuff that makes the gas go bang!) have evaporated off leaving behind "heavy" gasoline that doesn't burn well.
wrong! My Grandfather,Dad and good friend worked for Sun. Currently, another friend is a chemist at the Sun Philly refinery. Do not misjudge!
-- 98 Camaro

What???? Having petrochemical worker friends and family doesn't have anything to do with me collecting samples of premium fuel at several gas stations, checking it's specific gravity, and finding it off the charts.
Brand names are irrelevant as most gasoline trucks are filling from the same depot or refinery pipeline anyway. If you must buy premium fuel, make sure you buy it from the busiest station you can find as you will have a better chance of buying fresh fuel, not old stale fuel.
And that shows your ignorance! The busiest stations are the cheapest stations in most cases. The cheaper stations are very heavy in ethanol, such is much less efficient. Besides, we are not talking about milk here, petro chemicals take months to degrade.
-- 98 Camaro

Also note, many stations use Sun fuel, but add ethanol to upgrade the octane. So, what you are bashing, you are probably using.
-- 98 Camaro

Also, gravity as nothing to do with efficiency. Ethanol makes fuel lighter, but less efficient. Simple and well know fact.
-- 98 Camaro

*snickers*
The Vampire, "Muffin Man"
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Car.

87 octane
: Hello. I have a 1994 Firebird with a 3.4 V6. Is it OK to use regular : unleaded, or must I use premium?
87 octane unless you reprogram the the ECM for higher octane.
-- 98 Camaro