97 or 98 EGR valve location?

I have a 97 Ford Explorer w/a 5.0 V8, 2WD, automatic. My question is this, is it possible to have a 98 engine in this vehicle, possibly because it was produced later in the year? I know the engine is original in the vehicle, I have heard it could be a 98 though. Whether it is or not matters because I can't find the location of the EGR valve and sensor. I have a "check engine" light, and the code is egr valve

2001. Could it be under the air intake manifold ( the one with the 5.0 stamped on it)?
Reply to
jabob

EGR valve should be a round, kind of flattened disk about 3 or 4 inches across with a raised portion in the middle. There should be a rubber hose coming out from it on top or underneath. Underneath, I believe it's a cast iron chunk that bolts on near the intake manifold. That's how it is on our V6, and I suspect the V8 it similar.

possibly because it was produced later in the year?

98 though. Whether it is or not matters because I can't find the location of the EGR valve and sensor. I have a "check engine" light, and the code is egr valve 2001. Could it be under the air intake manifold ( the one with the 5.0 stamped on it)? >
Reply to
Mike Mayer

There is a part with a 90 degree bend called an "EGR spacer" between the throttle body and the upper intake manifold (aka plenum) the EGR valve is mounted to the rear portion of the this EGR spacer.

possibly because it was produced later in the year?

though. Whether it is or not matters because I can't find the location of the EGR valve and sensor. I have a "check engine" light, and the code is egr valve

2001. Could it be under the air intake manifold ( the one with the 5.0 stamped on it)?
Reply to
Fred 2

V6 OHC is next to the exhaust manifold on the drivers side with a metal tube leading to the intake manifold. V6 SOHC has it on top of the engine near the oil fill. Not sure about the V8, but I suspect if you look around the intake manifold you'll see the EGR inlet which leads to the valve.

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

What is the difference between taking my vehicle to an auto parts store or the dealer when it comes to a "check engine light" being on? My 97 Explorerhas the light on and Auto Zone keeps saying it's the same code, p402. Nothing more specific and I am chasing it round and round

Reply to
jabob

P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected

dealer when it comes to a "check engine light" being on?

p402. Nothing more specific and I am chasing it round and round

Reply to
Dejufid

Jabob,

I had the same code on my 95 V6 Exp and I replaced the EGR valve,(about 60k miles) and still had the code. Luckily it removed easily. I then replaced the DPFE sensor and the prob was gone. Then

45k miles (3 years) later, the same code appeared and was fixed again with a new DPFE sensor. These usually fail before the EGR valve (though they are physically connected).

dealer when it comes to a "check engine light" being on?

p402. Nothing more specific and I am chasing it round and round

Reply to
Ted

DOn't know if you had any luck yet, but I have some good news, and some bad!

I just found the valve on my '96 V8! That's the good news. The bad news is that you may need to lose 100lbs so you can get your arms in there to work on it, or remove the top half of the engine!

When looking at the engine bay, at the back, you should see the yellow dipstick for the "trans fluid". Directly above that there is a large wire harness traveling along the bulkhead, that has a large bundle drop down behind the engine itself. Follow the bundle of wires and right there at the back of the engine is the EGR valve with its wire sticking out of the top.

The best part yet is that I have still to find the position sensor, and I have the feeling that is bolted to the back of the engine!

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Flemming

What position sensor are you talking about? The Camshaft Postion Sensor (CPS) if so. that's easy it sits in the front of the engine, where the ignition distributor used to go.