96 xlt front diff change?

I've read conflicting statements regarding changing the front diff fluid on a 96 Exp. I have a 96 V8AWD and I have not changed my front diff fluid - one reason is it's a pain to access

Does anyone have comments or experiences to share on this topic?

thanks much,

Zammer

Reply to
Zam Karmen

We had the rear seal on the front diff replaced because it was dripping diff fluid. As part of the replacement, the dealer had to of course refill the front diff with fluid. I think it's the same fluid as with the rear diff.

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Same fluid, yes. However, you must verify in your manual that your rear axle doesn't require the Ford friction modifier additive, if it's Limited Slip.

Reply to
IanCT

"IanCT" wrote in news:kaZub.34393$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

I replaced the rear oil (I used royal purple which the mfg states DOES contain the friction modifier requied by Ford for LSD differentials). It was a pain but I perservered. So, I was curious specifically about the Front diff which in some references suggests it's sealed for life and does NOT require replacement. Given how difficult it is to access (behind the steering linkage), I'd rather not do it, but then again...

Zammer

Reply to
Zam Karmen

I did the fluid replacement from underneath the vehicle, and I used a hand pump to remove and fill both front and back diff's.

Typically you change the fluid at 100k, unless you submersed the axles under water. Check the manual for that statement, or it might say filled for life unless (insert criteria here)

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT