Clutch life prediction?

For those of you who have or had a manual Explorer, what kind of like did you get out of the clutch. Per my other recent posts here, I've just brought my XLT tot he dealer for a clutch pedal problem. And the dealer is suggesting that now - 85,000 miles - is a reasonable time to do the clutch anyway. I was hoping it would go lots further than 85,000. I'm very gentle with the clutch. And idea what I should expect for clutch life?

Thanks

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I have a '96 XLT, V6, 4dr, 4wd, standard rear axle, no towing done--currently at 124k miles with no indication that the clutch needs replacing. Then again, even with my bad forest roads, highway driving, running around town, etc., I must be a gentle driver as I get better gas mileage than most and still have half of my original brake pads!

Craig in Flagstaff

Reply to
Craig

Thanks Craig!

I think I'm in the same position as you (except for maybe a failing slave cylinder). I'm at 85,000 and hardly any wear on the front disk pads - though the rears are a bit worn, which sounds strange to me.

By the way, when you downshift, do you rev the engine a bit before reengaging the clutch so that the clutch doesn't have to bring the engine speed up to match the lower gear? I do this, but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea. It seems like it makes the clutch's work easier. If I don't, the truck will slow down rapidly as the clutch forces the engine speed up. If I bring up the engine speed in advance, the truck doesn't jerk. What's your thoughts?

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I traded in my 93 XLT 5 spd with 154K miles on it...and never had a clutch problem

Reply to
Vito

Mine, bought new in the Fall of '96, was having trouble shifting at 160K, due apparantly to a slave cylinder problem. So I replaced the clutch and slave cylinder and now am up to 225K miles. Runs like new. 85K life is short unless the clutch has been abused.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein