Explorer engine life

Hi. I would like to buy a used explorer, somewhere between 1995 and 1998. Most of them have about 200,000 km (120,000 miles) on them. Does anyone know what a typical engine life is for the explorer before it has to be rebuilt or replaced?

Thanks

Reply to
Silmarillion

be thankful ya got that much

jesus loves ya

hurc ast

Reply to
omarsimms25793

I had a 98 Explorer with the 5.0 (302) v8. If well taken care of with regular oil changes I would expect 250,000 miles out of that engine. I doubt if some other things in this SUV would go that long like electronics, body rust, and other drive train items.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Where are you at? I know of a 1994 4X4 4.0 6 cylinder XLT in excellent condition. New heads, new EGR sensor, new mass airflow sensor, recently cleand injectors. Just under 90,000 miles. $3900 It is in Western Washington. email carl at snipped-for-privacy@ncplus.net

Reply to
JimDavis

I'd be really suspect of a 94 that needed new heads and was not completely overhauled.

91s and early 92's had spontanious head cracking issues, after that they were solid. What happened to this engine?

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter

Late 90s Explorers:

4.0 OHV + 4R55E = good engine, crap trans

4.0 SOHC + 5R55E = so-so engine, crap trans

5.0 V8 OHV + AODE/4R70 = solid engine thats slightly hungry for gas, very solid trans...

Expect to at a transmission overhaul at any moment after 100k miles on the A4LD. If you don't annihilate it, you can generally get an overhaul done with warranty for under $1500 total.

The V8 model seems to be good for 200k before anything expensive breaks.

Good luck!

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter