expected cost to replace plugs and wires on 99 v8 mountaineer

I've done some searching and see what people expect to pay for the plugs and the wires, but I've seen nothing on the expected labor charges to get this take care of. I took my 99 mountaineer with the 5.0 v8 to get the plugs/wires changed out since it started running pretty rough a day ago (they are original plugs/wires with 103k).

The independant shop quoted $380 + tax ($420 total) for parts/labor using all motorcraft parts. Not sure if it makes a difference, but this engine does use the coil pack.

I called the dealer and they quoted a similar price, but I guess I was hoping for the small shop to be cheaper. I know most of you would do this job yourself, and had I not already authorized the work, I'd do it too. This is mostly a request to help other people who might be trying to find this information later. So, if you were going to let a shop do this work for you, what would you expect to pay for parts and labor?

To those of you who are curious, Advance Auto Parts has the plugs for $4.68 each and the wires for $137.77 (both prices listed are for genuine motorcraft parts). Although, as anyone will tell you, the shop needs to mark those prices up in order to stay in business, so those numbers are for reference only for the "do it yourself'er"

Thanks

Reply to
Chris

thanks for the info.

I wondered how much I could expect to pay for plugs/wires at dealer. my

[...]

newman

Wow. I only have the 4.0 V6 OHV engines on my Explorers but I only paid about $35 for new Bosch wires and a couple bucks apiece for Bosch platinum plugs. I seem to recall that Ford wanted about $45 for OEM wires. I could see why labor would be a lot on the 4.0 plug switch but changing wires is usually pretty easy. I've been using the Bosch wires for a couple of years now and I think they are as good as the Motorcraft (so far). My old Explorers (91 and 92) run excellent and easily pass the smog tests.

At 103K miles I'll bet you don't have much in the way of electrodes on those plugs any more ;-) I think the most I ever got was about 80K miles and that was a stretcher.

Reply to
Ulysses

You may even save more money by letting the shop see what's wrong instead of just taking a guess and replacing something that may or may not be the problem. wth

Reply to
wth

Quote a valid remark. In my case, since the engine was running so rough, I took it in (I was thinking it was misfires). They verified it was misfires and said the plugs needed to be replaced. Since the wires had 103k on them (again, they were original), I figured it was time to replace them as well.

On a separate note, someone else pointed out that the v6 wires are significantly less expensive, that's completely true. I'm not sure why ford charges more than double (almost triple) for the v8 model, but they do.

Reply to
Chris