Ford dealer does not recommend yearly brake fluid flush?

Yet, this doesn't seem to be a real problem. That's because it just doesn't happen this way, despite some passing mention on a page trying to make a point.

If this were really the problem it's made out to be, the solution would be mandated. Think about it: if this really happened, there would be a LOT of cases of people just driving along in hills/mountains, crashing because their braked suddenly didn't work. Yet, we hear no reports of this, no lawsuits for suddenly inoperative brakes, no outcry for a solution to "save the children." Why? Because it just doesn't happen that way. The heat builds up *slowly*; there's a reason for that. The pads themselves are made of material that doesn't transfer heat well at all. The calipers act has heat sinks. The fluid is one of the LAST places the heat goes, by design. Because of this, the fluid heats slowly; it doesn't just all of a sudden flash into steam. When it does form steam, that very act takes a lot of heat energy, which tends to cool the fluid. When this happens, it limits the amount of gas in the fluid, which means the driver will (should) notice the pedal getting spongy or soft. This is (should be) a warning to the driver. Of course, with the brakes getting this hot, there will be a definite odor of burning brakes by this time; another warning. As well, the brakes will start to fade, again giving the driver more warning.

Do people ignore these warnings? You bet they do. That doesn't mean the brakes are at fault. It doesn't even mean water in the fluid is at fault. It's driver error. The driver is responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle.

Reply to
bill

It's true that I'm not a physicist, nor am I an engineer, but I am eager to learn. Please feel free to enlighten me on these two subjects.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

Rather than pull; this trick, try educating yourself on what you're trying to educate us about. Learn what pads are made if, and why. Just look at the caliper, and see the heat sink it provides. Learn about tje physics of heat transfer between various elements within the brake system. I've already given the easy lesson, you expect a college course. After admitting you don't know, you should learn instead of whining.

Reply to
bill

Trick??? What trick? You intimated that your opinions were based on your knowledge of physics and brake pad construction and properties. What trick are you refering to?

I thought I'd go to the expert on these subjects. (YOU)

You have given no lessons, only unsupported opinions.

"Whining".....another one of your unsupported claims. Seems to be a habit with you.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

OK, tell me this: Why is it that no only the US, but EVERY country that has any oversight of the vehicles their citizens drive (and that's kust about all of them) allows these vehicles to operate with a braking system that, under normal driving conditions, can (and, according to some, DOES) catastrophically fail with no warning. Yet, we see no lawsuits over this (even in the US, arguably the most litigious country in the world). We see no chilling accounts of families wiped out because of this. Do you think, maybe, it's because engineers have figured out what needs to be done to prevent this from happening? That maybe they've designed the pads so that they insulate the caliper from the heat of braking? That maybe they've figured out how much fluid to have in the caliper to avoid flash boiling even on long braking drives? Gee, according to you, this isn't so, yet the systems seem to be working fine. Opinion? Where? The fact is, this just isn't the problem you seem to think it is. And it's because of the reasons I've already given.

Reply to
bill

Bill, This will be my last post on the subject. I see no point in continuing the discussion with someone who is not smart enough to know the difference between "normal driving conditions" and extreme braking conditions. And since you continually weasel out of answering direct questions, I can only conclude that you have nothing to offer. But thanks for playing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

Dave, Do as you wish. BTW, driving in mountains is considered "normal driving conditions." Just because *you* don't do it doesn't change that at all.

Reply to
bill

But the natives know how to drive them! :)

Reply to
Luigi Marazzi

Yes. They also know the danger signs. The point is, the brakes do not simply stop working without warning. They are built that way.

Reply to
bill