Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

Threaded View
Just put 4 new Michelin LTX MS tires on my 2000 Explorer XLS (2WD). What should
the tire pressure be? The tires say "consult owner's manual / max. pressure 35
PSI". The owner's manual says to follow recomendations on side of tires, so I'm
unsure what is best. The tire dealer put 37 PSI in the fronts and 33 PSI rears.

I run 100% on the highway, and occasionally tow a 2700 pound trailer.

TIA

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
There is usually a sticker on one of the door jambs that gives the
recommended pressure - probably 30 psi.

On 30 Jun 2004 03:52:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNOSPAM (BOTMLINE 2)

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
Somewhere, probably on the inside door post or glove box door, should
be a tire inflation sticker.

Mike

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
tire inflation sticker

I have seen stickers inside the cover of the center console.  The sticker
MUST be there somewhere.   I run my 94 with Cross Terrains at 3 pounds over
what the sticker says for non-high-speed pressure.
reply address bot resistant and human safe

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
Check the VIN decal at the drivers door.

should
pressure 35
so I'm
rears.

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
But wouldn't that sticker be applicable to the original factory tires and
not the aftermarket brands?

dave

should
pressure 35
so I'm
rears.

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

If the tire sizes are the same, and the same load range, as a rule the
pressures will remain the same.
It should be remembered that the pressures the mfgr gives is a
*recommendation*. The user can vary to suit particular loads or
desired ride characteristics.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
I am not positive of this but am 75% sure....Ford told owners to use 30 psi
on all 4 tires regardless of the stickers on the vehicle. That was after the
Firestone fiasco. I had a '99 Explorer and always ran 30 psi.

should
pressure 35
so I'm
rears.

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

psi
the
'03 vehicles call for 30# front 35# rear.

Sy Cohen

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
Yes, the '02 and later "new bodystyle" is different. I was referring to the
old bodystyle.

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

Hmmm, interesting.

My sister's `97 Sport has had Michelin LTX M/S, P235/75R15, for a few
years. Her tires say max pressure 35 PSI, same as yours. They also say
max load 2028 lbs, and treadwear 440.

My dad just got the *same* tires for his `98 XLT, but... I noticed that
his say max load 2183 lbs @ 41 PSI, and treadwear 500.

I just assumed the tires were improved sometime between the two
purchases. Did you get "old stock" tires? Anybody else got the higher
numbers on their LTX M/S?

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

If the tires are the same size and type, they will have the
same maximum load rating. Make sure they are exactly the
same size and type. For the P235/75R15 LTX M/S tries
Michelin offers both a regular load and an "extra load" P
series tire.

P235/75R15 105S: Max load = 1844 lb @ 35 psi*
P235/75R15/XL 108S: Max load = 1985 lb @ 41 psi*

* - The maximum load rating listed here has been derated
because the tires are used in a light truck application. The
tire's sidewall shows a higher maximum load rating (based on
the industry wide P metric standard).

I believe if you scrutinize the two tires in your original
post you will see they differ in load rating (105S vs 108S).

Ed

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

That's it! I don't see /XL on the newer Michelins, but they do have 108S
on them.
I know there are "LT" versions of these tires, but I didn't know about
the two "P" series.

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

I usually run 30psi on my 94 with the LTX MS tires.

--
Mike Iglesias                          Email:       snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926

Paul

should
pressure 35
so I'm
rears.
snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

The diabolical tire wear probably was more related to the
quality of the OE Firestones than to the tire pressue.

Ed

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
Actually, I had the 'Stones on my '99 and at 25000 miles (when Ford did the
recall) they were almost like new!

start

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?
My Firestones ('93 Explorer) were as hard as a rock.  I got 95,000 when I
finally decided to replace them.  They had plenty of tread left, in fact,
they just passed the state safety inspection, but I no longer felt safe,
since they were slick as all get-out on rainy roads.  I think they put rocks
in the rubber compound in the batch I got.

the
forgo

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

At least lately, I have not worn any tires down to the tread
wear bars. The tread seems to last forever, but the tires
get noisy or bumpy or whatever long before the tread is
gone. I just replaced the OE Continentals on my Expedition
with Michelins. The tread on the Continentals looked great
even though the tires had 50,000 miles. However they bumped
(despite repeated balancings) and were very noisy. Changing
to the Michelins was like buying a new truck. Smooth ride,
no bumping, no noise. The tread might last forever but the
internal structure of the tire does not.

Ed

Re: Michelin LTX MS tire pressure?

should
pressure 35
so I'm
rears.

Those pressures are wrong (or you reversed the readings) front and rear.  I
would run them at 30-32 lbs front and rear except when towing.  When towing,
increase the rear pressure to the max load rating of the tire (35 lbs).
Note - all pressures are measured stone cold.  Once the tires have been
driven on at all (or even sat in the direct sun) they will measure higher by
an unknown amount.  Use an accurate gauge.

-Fred W