Murcury Mountaineer 2002 - V8 with a vaccum leak sound------>

It seems like around 45 - 55 mph I get this swooshing sound, it sounds like refridgerant running in the lines. After some driving it goes away. As I push the gas pedal I hear it and when I back off it goes away. Ford has had the truck for 4 service attempts. They can't find it?? Any help here?

Reply to
Dave

Take a tech or service manager for a drive with you.... you drive.... you make the sound happen..... you make sure whoever is with you hears the sound......... there is NO alternative.. This may not solve the problem but it will take miscommunication and other variables out of the question.

Jim Warman

I have done that 2 times now and they still thin I am nuts. They, the dealer, have heard the noise and say it's normal. Keep in mind I have friends and relatives with the exact V8 in their Explorers with no such noise. Next week the Ford rep/engineer will go for a ride :)

Reply to
Dave

Normally if you back off the gas pedal the vacuum noise would increase, because vacuum would increase. You describe a possible rear axle ring gear pinion gear noise problem. I think there have been a few other '02 postings here in this group that have had a rear axle noise problem. You may also want the unhook the wire leading to your a/c compressor clutch to eliminate any a/c freon circulation noises. wth

Reply to
wth