Remote Starter

I'm looking for your combined wisdom, suggestions, advice, expediencies, etc., for purchasing and installing a remote starter. I'm planning on putting a remote starter in my '04 Eddie Bauer, but really know nothing about them. I've heard that the transponder ignition makes it a tricky deal and it should be done only by a dealer. True?

Also, are there any particular brands that are head and shoulders above the others? Is installation a DIY project?

Any and all advice is more than welcome!

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I have a Crimestopper remote start/alarm in my 98 Sport. Do youself a favor and check out the remote before you buy. The buttons on mine are easy to accidentally press when putting the remote in my pocket, starting the truck or locking/unlocking the doors are real inconvenient times.

Also, if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing, I'd recommend having it professionally installed.

Dave C

Dave Cilluffo

Thanks Dave, that's a good point that wouldn't have occurred to me until it caused a problem!

Reply to
Dan

I had a viper combo alarm/remote starter put in my 2003 XLT. I love it! I can start the car from 1000 ft away. If you set the AC or defrost full on before you leave you have a good head start to a comfortable interior. When I park at the railroad station, I hit the start button ( you have to press it twice ) just as the train is coming into the station, and everything is up and running when I get to the car. The car stays locked when it starts, so nobody can get in. Even if it's unlocked, just touching the brake will shut the engine off. It also has a feature that allows you to leave the car running and remove the keys to run into a store for a couple of seconds. If you have an XLT or higher level, make sure you get an expert installation house. Getting around the Ford remote features and computer controls is a little tricky.

Sy Cohen

Reply to
Sy Cohen