What I hate about my new 2003 explorer

As compared to my 99 sport that I had before.

No lock button in the back cargo area. Now I have to keep my keys in one hand until I open the back. Then hit the remote lock button before I unload my stuff. Not a huge deal but the button was much more convienient.

The tuner on the radio is weak. first thing I noticed driving home from the dealer. Stations that were preset on my 99 sport and came in fine, now either come in weakly or not at all. How much could they possibly have saved by going to a cheaper radio?

No rain gutter above the windshield. Every time I hit the brakes when it's raining and I'm starting out, or after I've stopped for a few minutes at a light. A sheet of water cascades down the windshield. how much fuel economy could possibly have been gained by eliminating the rain gutter.

The ride on the 2003 is much much better so i'm glad I bought it but these little things are irritating. For 28K you'd think they could have included them.

Sean

Reply to
Sean

Note also the lack of electric-retractible antenna. I have one on my '97 and don't understand the rationale for a fixed whip. I've had several cars with retractibles and never had any problem with them sticking or malfunctioning. On the other hand, I HAVE had cars that got their fixed antenna snapped off, even bent into a spiral, by vandals.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Our '02 has a lock button in the rear on rt side, but you can't "see" it like you could on our old '98, which makes it useless, because since you can't see the lock switch, there's no way of telling if you are locking/unlocking the doors. Plus the '02 has no lock knobs moving up/down on the top of the door trim panels. wth

Reply to
wth

How about the lack of a key lock on the passenger door? When I first switched from an Explorer to an Expedition, I missed the rear lock button. However, since I have keyless entry, the extra lock button does seeem redundant.

Maybe you just got a bad radio. Why not ask for a warranty replacement. It might also be the antenna is the problem.

They did the same thing on the '03 Expedition. I hate the "feature" also. I suppose it helps reduce wind noise and wind resistance.

Life is a trade-off.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Oh yes. I forgot about that one. How many times over the life of that vehicle will I hit the lock button on the remote again because I can't be sure I locked the door when I normaly do as I step out of the car? Countless times I'm sure. On my 99 sport, a quick glance at the lock knob on the top of the door trim panel would tell me whether the vehicle was locked or not.

I'm sure each of these things listed was discussed ad-nauseum in design meetings.

Who the F makes the decisions and have they ever driven a car before in real life?

Sean

Reply to
Sean

Sean,

There is an exterior button for opening the rear glass provided the doors are unlocked.

Reply to
<fred.smith

Thanks, but my issue is with locking the vehicle once I've gotten my gear out of it. With the old explorer, there was a button right in the back I could hit. that isn't there on the new exporers so I have to keep my keys handy and hit the remote lock button after I open the back. Glass or full hatch.

Sean

Reply to
Sean

Um I think there is a lock/unlock button in the back...its on the left hand side(driver side) inside that little tray thingy next to the window...pretty sure my 02 xlt has it.

Reply to
Pete

There's an inch thick book in the glove box. It's called, oddly enough, and instruction manual. Why don't you read it?

Reply to
Sy Cohen

My 2003 Explorer has a lock/unlock button on the driver's side inside corner wall in the back cargo area. You have to look around the inside corner to find it. No remote control needed then. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

As I said earlier, you should read the manual. If your explorer has auto door lock with the keypad at the driver's door, it also has a feature that answers your problem. If you hit the lock button on your remote control. while a door is still open, you can do whatever you have to do and then close the door ( or tailgate). At that point, the lights will flash indicating that the doors are locked and the system is secure.

Reply to
Sy Cohen

Apprently if you had gotten the Power Equipment Group Option, you would have gotten the lock in the back From the Ford web site for the 2003 Explorer -

"Power Equipment Group?includes power windows/door locks with illuminated controls, one-touch down feature for driver window, dual power outside mirrors, and accessory delay feature (including interior lock/unlock button in cargo area)"

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Uh, my '02 has a lock/unlock rocker under the left rear window (with the hatch open).

So do all the rest of the '02s and up.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

what a commie, pinko thing to say...... read the instructions????? Real men don't read instructions (well, not until after they break something....).

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yeah, I know it's a subversive concept but it helps pass the time faster since my wife made me stop squishing cowflops between my toes.

Reply to
Sy Cohen

*Real Men* don't read instructions until all else has failed.
Reply to
Bill Funk

I stand corrected (by several in this thread). It is there.

In my defense, I'll just say that when I was looking over the 2003 model with my salesperson I complained about there not being a lock/unlock button in the rear cargo area like there was in my 99 Sport.

He just shrugged, so I assumed it didn't exist. (He is no newbie either)

I never would have seen it if not for this group so, thanks.

Sean

Reply to
Sean

Neither do engineers (male or female).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I went from a '99 XLT to a '03 XLT. Strangely enough, the radio in my '03 is much BETTER than the old one. I judge this by the strength of the signal when I go through a tunnel. The old radio produced nothing but ignition noise, and with the new one most stations are still listenable.

The lock button in back is hidden around the left corner. You just have to learn that the end of the button with a bump is the "lock" position.

While I'm here, note that the gas mileage is 17.78mpg in the new car vs.

18.67mpg in the '99. V6 OHC engine in both. This is computed as (total miles)/(total amount of gas used).

All told, the new car is a MUCH better drive than the old one. veeber

Reply to
Veeber

I went from a '99 XLT to a '03 XLT. Strangely enough, the radio in my '03 is much BETTER than the old one. I judge this by the strength of the signal when I go through a tunnel. The old radio produced nothing but ignition noise, and with the new one most stations are still listenable.

The lock button in back is hidden around the left corner. You just have to learn that the end of the button with a bump is the "lock" position.

While I'm here, note that the gas mileage is 17.78mpg in the new car vs.

18.67mpg in the '99. V6 OHC engine in both. This is computed as (total miles)/(total amount of gas used) in the first 10K miles.